1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is a Cold Air Intake (CAI kit) worth it?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by jworm, Jan 18, 2014.

1. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

CAI's is a waste! There is "NO PROOF" that they provide any more HP! If anyone can provide anything that counters my opinion, go for it! A programmer or said chip will provide a little more but you will only feel the difference in the, maximum rpm range! A programmer will let you change some things, such as tire change, afm, rev limiter and shift points (which I don't recommend) while in warrenty! If you want more torq, change the "Gearing", nuff SAID...........Remember, the ECM controls the motor........
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

A programmer is going to give you the most HP for the $$... then exhaust... then replace the factory tube with a CIA tube.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Lot's of advice, up to you to decide. But, while your thinking about it go out and lift your hood. Remove the cover from the air filter box and then the filter. If the 2014 is like the previous model, you will find that the intake air is pulled in from behind the headlight; in effect, a Cold Air Intake.

Now, the other thing to consider. A lot of people will suggest adding a "tune", a tune is a rewrite of the powertraim management software. Any change to this software (other than a GM update) will kill the 5 year powertrain warranty.

And,,,,,,,,,,,, GM has the ability to read the logs and see any updates.
  4. TimTom64b

A programmer will not necessarily void the warrantee... it is law now that that they would have to prove your modification caused the failure. If that were the case too... changing anything from what came off the factory floor would void it... larger tires, exhaust, choice of oil, etc. It is more with what fits in your comfort zone.

If your going with a programmer... you get what you pay for. I've had mine for ~50k miles now and no problems.
  5. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I am in the camp that feels that doing stuff like a CAI or cat back exhaust, while not a bad thing, is not really going to mean a lot without a good tune. I recently put on an Airaid MIT tube and Dynomax Ultraflo cat back on my 2013, but that is part of getting things where I want them and then do a custom tune. I only went with the Airaid tube. The stock intake tube is probably the only weak link in the intake setup. I stuck with the stock box, since it is cold air anyway, and dropped in a Amsoil air filter. I wanted good flow, but living on gravel roads and going into cropland often, I needed a balance of good flow and excellent filtration.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't want to get into a p*ss*ng contest over this; but if your tune removed the torque management and added an additional, let's say, 50hp, I think you would have a hard time proving your tune was not the reason your transmission failed.
    GM states, that if you make any changes it could void your warranty, I think the responsibility might be upon you to prove your "changes" did not damage the powertrain.

This is just my 2cents; and, imo, the additional hp is not worth the risk?
  7. TimTom64b

I'm not arguing with you on this... everyone has to make this type of decision on their own. Millions of people have installed programmers it is not something new that dealers are seeing. To me it is well worth it... I have not had any problems with my dealer. Before the programmer my truck was really working pulling my camper constantly shifting up and down running high rpms... 3-4 Rome when pulling hills and getting 8 miles per gallon with higher temps both tranny and engine. This isn't good for the engine/transmission either. After the programmer what a big difference... doesnt need to shift down as much and I'm at 13 mpg when pulling my camper.

Also, if you do mods to your vehicle (tires, exhaust, engine) without adjusting the tunes for your engine and transmission you risk damaging them (i.e. running the engine lean and or working the tranny too hard because because of the gear ratio change because of larger tires.). Any mod that changes the configuration from what came off the factory floor could perceivable void your warrantee.
  8. willywonka

willywonka New Member

hello take some time out remove the stock air box completely and look at where she breathes from its pathetic the air path between fenders a joke on my 99 I removed the stock air box and put in a cold air intake from airaid the non oiled type very important u do not use an oiled type with your mass air flow sensor very important !!!!!!!! as for any persons here sayin the cold air intake valueing 300 not worth it they aint tried it using the cold air intake with the throttle body spacer yes it works especially pulling loads and on my truck I gained mileage from 840km hwy to 920km hwy doing 100 to 110 air on
  9. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Yes, it is true that a mod like a tune, or something else for that matter, "could" void a warranty, it likely will not. I personally have never had any dealer so much as question me regarding applying a tune to a vehicle. And that is even on commercial engines that cost more than my entire 2013 Silverado. I even tuned up a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel that I had. The dealer knew it and never questioned anything, which just so happens, is the same dealer I got my 2013 Silverado from. As long as the tune modifications are within the design parameters of the engine and trans, there really is not a lot to worry about. And adding a few HP and a few lb of torque is not outside the design parameters. I think that every canned tune on the market keeps things well inside the design parameters. It is the custom stuff that could conceivably be an issue, but custom programmers usually are not trying to set things so it rips the driveshaft up. It is the novices that try it.

The stock tune is so castrated on what the engine is actually designed for. The OEM has to take into account a lot of variables like customers buying the cheapest (which can mean the worse) fuel they can put in a tank, and not operating the vehicle properly. They are not about to let loose the tiger on these engines and then hand them over to a bunch of idiots. All a canned tune by modifying the timing, injector parameters, etc is doing is adding back more of the efficiency that the engine was designed for. That is why when folks get these tunes they have to run quality fuel, and depending on the tune, even stay with high octane only. The true performance cars will usually have OEM tunes more in line with what the engine is capable of, but then the sticker price of those types of vehicles is generally outside of what the normal driving public will pay.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  10. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

OP, if you are so set on 400hp why didnt you just get the 6.2L??

Also full intakes systems are a joke....as are TBS.