1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is a new CAI worth it for a daily driver?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Crazeetxn, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn New Member

Morning all -

I've searched around and just read Jenna's sticky on the difference in closed and open. Great info.

Some of the threads concentrate on HP though. Not really interested in that on the 'burb...need ways to improve MPG. My wife and I now now drive to work together. We take her suburban now cause my '86 needs a few window and door gaskets replaced to quiet it down :) It's 70 miles (interstate) round trip everyday. Fuel economy is still good, I think, but I know there's things I can do to bump it up even more.

The 'burb is a 2004 1/2 ton. Everything is stock. From reading everything, I know I'll need to upgrade the exhaust, but for right now, I'm just looking at the CAI. Will it be worth it to just do that or should I wait till I'm ready to tackle the exhaust as well?

Also, will it really be necessary to reprogram anything?

Thanks for the info ya'll!!!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If your looking for more mpg's than start with the exhaust. Some people report a loss in mpg's with a CAI. Now this could be from people playing with the extra power and throttle response a CAI gives you. I've read other tuners opinions on CAI's and one said and I think this makes sense, the more air in the more fuel used. I would also switch ALL the fluids, oil, transmission, f&r axle gear lube to synthetics. You have to change all the fluids to see a real mpg increase, not just the engine oil. After these mods I'd go with a Diablo Preditor programmer. The Diablo lets you adjust your LongTermFuelTrims (LTFT's). This will also help mpg's. Exhaust brand is a personal thing, depends on what you like. I've used Mobil1 synthetics for years in all my trucks. MarylandSpeed.com has the best price I've seen on the Diablo Preitor, $279.000 shipped.
  3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

Also, an easy way to increase MPG is to make sure your tires are properly inflated to the correct PSI, and also remove any unnecessary weight from the vehicle. Every little bit helps!
  4. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Next time you replace your paper air filter, replace it with a drop in K&N filter. As stated above, air pressure in tires is a good one.
  5. giorge

giorge New Member

I went with a CAI and it was a waste of money, it didn't make any difference. It made the drone a lot louder and that was about it.
  6. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn New Member

Thanks for the inputs. Yeah, I saw about maybe taking out the 3rd seat and such if we don't use it that much...and the tire pressure and such.

That's what got me on the CAI, was I was going to ditch the FRAM and go with a K&N. Just seemed like alot of extra $$...But as I was thinking of just the air filter, I got curious about a CAI.
  7. giorge

giorge New Member

There are cheaper filters than the K&N, I bought an Airaid and also have a K&N and other than color you can't tell the difference.