Is a small coolant leak from the intake manifold gasket an "emergency"

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ross, May 19, 2011.

1. ross

ross New Member

I'm just wondering if this is something where I shouldn't drive the truck anymore until I get it fixed (because it might wreck something else?).

It's a '90 5.7 suburban and it has a very small trickle coming from the back of the intake gasket.

I'm keeping an eye on the coolant level, and will fix it when I get a chance, but thought I should ask ...

Thanks.

Ross.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I wouldnt because you never know when that small trickle will turn into a massive flood.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on maybe turning into a flood, but the worse thing is, it could also be leaking inside into the oil,, & coolant ain't worth chit at lubeing those engine parts.

4. 94SILVERADO

94SILVERADO New Member

I have a 94 Silverado with a 5.7 , seems to also have a coolant leak along the intake manifold edge. Is this a common problem for the 5.7 litre motors? Mine has 236,000 mi. I am not seeing any coolant coming out, but when I wipe it up it pools up on top of the manifold in a couple days. I thought maybe it was the thermostat housing leaking, but the coolant is pooling up further down the manifold.Hopefully the manifold is not cracked?

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

94, try & follow the trail to the highest point. It could be the thermostst gasket & just running down to a lower area & then pooling. Wipe the thermostat gasket area with a white paper towell & see if you see the coolant color transfer to the towel.

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X3, leaks ownly get worse.

7. jt1200r

jt1200r New Member

a guy i know had a leak . it turned out to be the heater line at the intake. went to losen the nut and the metal tube was rusted thru