Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Is a small coolant leak from the intake manifold gasket an "emergency"

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ross, May 19, 2011.

1. ross

ross New Member

I'm just wondering if this is something where I shouldn't drive the truck anymore until I get it fixed (because it might wreck something else?).

It's a '90 5.7 suburban and it has a very small trickle coming from the back of the intake gasket.

I'm keeping an eye on the coolant level, and will fix it when I get a chance, but thought I should ask ...

Thanks.

Ross.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I wouldnt because you never know when that small trickle will turn into a massive flood.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on maybe turning into a flood, but the worse thing is, it could also be leaking inside into the oil,, & coolant ain't worth chit at lubeing those engine parts.

4. 94SILVERADO

94SILVERADO New Member

I have a 94 Silverado with a 5.7 , seems to also have a coolant leak along the intake manifold edge. Is this a common problem for the 5.7 litre motors? Mine has 236,000 mi. I am not seeing any coolant coming out, but when I wipe it up it pools up on top of the manifold in a couple days. I thought maybe it was the thermostat housing leaking, but the coolant is pooling up further down the manifold.Hopefully the manifold is not cracked?

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

94, try & follow the trail to the highest point. It could be the thermostst gasket & just running down to a lower area & then pooling. Wipe the thermostat gasket area with a white paper towell & see if you see the coolant color transfer to the towel.

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X3, leaks ownly get worse.

7. jt1200r

jt1200r New Member

a guy i know had a leak . it turned out to be the heater line at the intake. went to losen the nut and the metal tube was rusted thru