Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Is an extended drive shaft needed for a 4" lift kit? 2007 Silverado

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by gangster_martini, Jan 3, 2011.

1. gangster_martini

gangster_martini New Member

This crossed my mind and before I buy the kit I want to make sure I have everything I need to install it.. So with that being said, going from stock to 4" lifted is an extended drive shaft a wise idea?

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

No its not needed. they will try to sell you a dual cardan front driveshaft for the lifts but not necessary. they say that if you dont you can get vibration at highway speed in 4wd. I notice it a little but its not bad and dont do a whole lot of high speed driving in 4wd. the rear is fine. some will come with a spacer to lower the bushing in the center of the rear drive shaft to improve the angle so that you dont get the small vibration at takeoff. that one is nice to have but an actual extended drive shaft is not needed. oh yeah what year and everything is your truck.

3. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

It's not necessary at all. The only time a dual cardan shaft is needed is if you're AWD.

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

x3....you do not need. I installed a 4" last year and it's been working great. No vibration.

5. gangster_martini

gangster_martini New Member

Sorry it took so long to get back guys! I have a 2007 silverado new body style 2wd crew cab regular bed. Thank you for letting me know! I thought about just getting the spacers its much cheaper haha but thank you again guys you saved me some money thats for sure!!!!! :D

6. alabamaxrebel

alabamaxrebel Rockstar 100 Posts

If you leave your truck in AUTO 4x4 the vibration is pretty bad. I have the Rancho 4" kit and never leave my truck in auto 4x4 because when I hit the gas anywhere above 45 MPH it gets annoying.

7. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

This is true. Leave that joker in 2wd mode regardless of what suspension you go with.

8. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Fact of life right there. :rules:

9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

he has a 2wd anyways so he doesnt need to worry about it. he was wondering about the rear. the 2wd part wasnt in the original post. but on the auto 4wd thing just leave it in 2wd mode.

10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just my 02, but if your using blocks for the 4" lift then you could encounter axle wrap under heavy braking and acceleration which will cause the axle to rotate on it's axis and possibly pull the drive shaft right out of the slip yoke. Had this happen several times on an old Dodge I had years ago. Fixed it by re-arching the springs for lift and using a longer tailshaft.