1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is anyone going to wait until 100k miles to replace plugs? Chevy Trailblazer Maintena

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by iowablazer, Aug 8, 2006.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. iowablazer

iowablazer New Member

I have around 62,000 miles on my 2002 tb and was thinking about changing the plugs sooner rather than later. With gas prices the way they are I would like to make sure that I am getting the most spark for my buck. Even for platinum plugs I would think 100,000 miles is an awful lot.
    Has anyone gone 100k? Has anyone changed them sooner?
  2. TB~Mike

TB~Mike New Member

Pull a plug out and look at it. If it looks like its still in good condition then I would just leave them in. Those plugs are not cheap if you buy GM plugs. I remember when I went to get replacement plugs on a 98 lumina LTZ they were $60 for a set of 6 :shock:
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Re:plugs

I too put some thought into plugs. I have an i6 and 6 platinum plugs are $212 Canadian...before taxes and install. Nice
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

5. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

Really? I have a 1998 Lumina as well and i actually got mine for 11 bucks a pair, double platinum and everything, even the dealer was charging only 14 a pair plus install but if you cant install plugs yourself then you should stick to your day job no offence lol. I know it was a pain in the ass to get the ones in the back off but i mean wasnt that bad. next to like an oil filter whats cheaper than sparkplugs? lol i knwo lots of stuff.
  6. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have often wondered if the platinum plugs could be replaced by regular plugs?

I mean they are just spark plugs. I know the platinum plug are supposed to last longer but WTF is the real difference?

At 4 times or more the price are they really worth the price difference?
  7. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not recommended

With modern OBDII systems, misfires are detected and will 'throw a code.' Why change something when it isn't worn out? It would be like replacing perfectly good tires because they aren't the same diameter as new and they throw off the speedometer?:lol:
    Back in the day when I worked in a chevy parts store we had an MSD ignition demonstrator. You could open the gap of the demo electrode over 4" and it would still bridge the gap with a mean looking arc!
    Here is a great article on platinum plugs....and beyond. http://www.babcox.com/editorial/cm/cm120032.htm
  8. gbal4

gbal4 New Member

what is the sparkplug gap should be??
  9. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

BULLETIN: 03D-J-171
    LINE: 41
    SERVICE BULLETIN
    TO: ALL DISTRIBUTORS DATE: DECEMBER 12, 2003
    AND JOBBERS
    SUBJECT: INFORMATION ON NEW SPARK PLUGS AND GAPPING
    MODELS AFFECTED:
    2004 Buick Ranier
    2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V
    1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette
    1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
    1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
    2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
    2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2003-2004 Chevrolet Express, TrailBlazer
    1999-2004 GMC Sierra
    2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
    2001-2004 GMC Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali
    2002-2004 GMC Sierra Denali
    2003-2004 GMC Envoy XL
    1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird
    2004 Pontiac GTO
    2003-2004 Hummer H2
    with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V-8 Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM4,
    LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)
    PARTS INFORMATION:
    A new spark plug has been released for use in the above vehicles. The new spark plug has an
    Iridium tip instead of the current Platinum tip. Due to the different tip design, the gap of the
    spark plug has also changed. The new spark plug, ACDelco Part Number 41-985 (12571164), is
    gapped to 1.01mm (0.040 inches) when the spark plug is made. The spark plug gap is set during
    manufacturing and should not be changed to the gap required with the Platinum plug, or damage
    to the spark plug may result.

10. gbal4

gbal4 New Member

thanks cable guy I have notice that there is like a metal boot surrounding the spark plugs how do I remove this??