1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Member Feedback Is chat coming back?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by SurrealOne, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was under the impression chat was only gone temporarily ... but it's been a few weeks, now, so I figured I'd ask if it's coming back, and if so, when?

2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That had crossed my mind also... it would be nice to have it back.

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i will third this, i miss it as well.

Alex

4. gabethesvg

gabethesvg Member

forward this motion need chat back!

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would agree. Using the chat option made it a lot easier to talk about possible mods with others that have done the mod in questions.

6. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

As far as I know, there are no immediate plans to bring that function back. It was using a lot of resources with diminishing returns.

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As Alox already noted, the presence of chat made mod discussions and opinion-gathering (on current and future mods) a lot easier -- especially among the regulars.

I am curious what kind of resource utilization problem(s) existed that caused it be to removed, what 'returns' were expected, and where/how chat fell short on those 'returns'. Please explain so that we can understand...

8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I am not sure what you mean by using allot of resources. Any website that can't run a simple chat bar is in need of serious upgrades since 2000. I could understand a resource issue if we had videos like Youtube and needed multiple server farms for this website.

I don't think this site is quite that complicated.

9. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Basically, the discussion talked about how it was being used frequently when it was first introduced, but over time, it lost popularity and it's use slowed to a crawl compared to what it was in the beginning. Steve decided that it was not worth the not only the resources used on the server, but the human resources to keep it secure from hacking attempts.

I am not the administrator here and I don't have any control over what plug-ins are installed or removed. the question about when it was coming back was asked and I answered that with the latest information I have. That's the best I can do.

Live chat modules use a large number of database queries, processor, ram and traffic bandwidth resources. It also introduces new security vulnerabilities that potentially allow hackers access.

To summarize...
    Original question: "When is the live chat coming back?"
    Answer to original question: "Don't hold your breath."

10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The problem is conflict between different plug-ins, and I'm not a programmer at that level to figure it out. The chat bar would appear over the top of the [DONE] button when people uploaded photos to their albums and as attachments inside of threads would not be able to easily hit that button to finish out.

Also, the stats showed that only a small handful of people even used the chat at all. Most days saw only 4 or 5 people sending direct messages back and forth. It was nice for the long-time members to quickly chat with each other, but we have other ways to get this done. It's just going to be one of the things on my 18-point to-do-list for the fall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.