1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

is it electrical problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by klynn, Apr 16, 2014.

1. klynn

klynn New Member

Help please, I have 2007 Gmc Sierra 1500, about two weeks ago my truck was flashing battery not charging it did it for a few days before it died. So my husband thought it was the alternator so he had that tested as well as battery. The battery came back bad alternator came back fine. So put brand new battery, now today its doing it again reading battery not charging now my truck it dead. please help I need my truck
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

did they test the alternator on the truck or off of it? Some of the alternators from the trucks with the Variable charging system (will have a big black box on negative battery cable) Will be damaged if removed from the truck and tested on the bench. From the way I understand the variable system, the pcm or bcm tells the alternator how much amperage and voltage is needed at any specific time. By running one of these alternators on a test bench they are running unregulated and damaged. Many parts store websites even say in the description for the alternator, "test on vehicle only". Unfortunately, most of the guys at the chain stores don't know this and bench test them.

My suggestion, if you end up buying an alternator, is to buy a new one. DO NOT under any circumstances buy a rebuild or reman. I (and many others) have had nightmares with a rebuild. I went thru 6 in 2 months before I broke down and spent the extra $30 for a new one. Also, check and see if yours is a Bosch or a delphi. My year offered 2 different brands of alternator and 2 different amperage (so a choice of 4 different alternators) and from what I have been told, the brands are not interchangeable but amperage is.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  3. klynn

klynn New Member

yes my husband took the alternator off the truck and took it in. Would it work for a couple of weeks before if it went bad from removing ?
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

when I have seen them fried it was immediate. maybe, it was on it's way out last time causing intermittent issues.
  5. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hi klynn,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information, so I'm glad to see forum members are beginning to step in with feedback. If you have any lingering concerns please contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care