Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Is it me or.....

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Caddiac, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

.....is the world populated by complete morons. I get on the interstate today and managed to weave my way to the front of rolling road block caused by a failure to abide by the basic rules of interstate travel: Slower Traffic Keep Right. I guess it is me. But if I am in the left lane and there is a car behind me, I will either speed up or change lanes. Apparently, having 1/2 of a mile of cars bumper to bumper is not enough for some people to get the hint.

Shortly before entering Hell, a.k.a. Columbia South Carolina, the highway splits with two lanes going straight and two breaking right. I looked to see if the guy to my right might want to merge left. He had been running at a steady speed but then sped up a little and backed off as if he were not sure what he wanted to do. Since his signal was NOT on, I figured he and I were both going to the right. A split second later he was in my lane. I swerved, hit the brakes and horn at the same time to avoid the accident. With both hands palm up, I gave him the WTF look when he looked in his mirror while turning on his signal to indicated that he was finished with his lane change.

The return trip was not much better. The traffic crawled out of the city, the interstate being little more than a Walmart parking lot without the IQ. After a while, I noticed a thunderstorm in the distance. With dry cars approaching from the opposite direction, the brake lights come on as if there is an accident. A little while later there are a few drops of rain.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with pulling over if you cannot see or are afraid. Personally, I recommend the emergency lane for this purpose. Stopping on the edge of the grass of the LEFT LANE tends to be a dangerous since you really have no way to accelerate. If there are torrents of rain water on the interstate, the risk of being hit by a hydroplaning vehicle are just a wee bit higher.

Perhaps if I were going more than 10 miles an hour it would have been harder to see. I guess we will never know. It was not like I was late arriving at the storm and missed the bulk of it. The winds, thunder and lightening were such that I was looking in the event there was a funnel cloud in the distance. I cringed when I saw the hail because I was in my toy, not the Suburbeast. You cannot sit much lower to the road than I was and it just was not that bad. Needless to say, I got off the interstate and finished my trip home on the back roads.

I drive 65 mph on the interstate going to work so I am no stranger to the right lane. When I do pass, if there is a another car gaining on me, I either speed up or wait until it passes.

I guess I skipped school too much as a teenager. Apparently changing lanes and making the rest of the world conform to your cruise control setting is considered courteous and safe driving practice. LOL :glasses:

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I hear you! Some people are just in there own little world.:grrrrrr:

3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I never had a problem with that in PA. You could actually get a ticket for doing just that. Here in NC there is no such thing as a hammer lane. The slow drivers ride where they want with the cell phone to the ear.

4. pats91jimmy

pats91jimmy New Member

dude i know what your talking about i used to live in columbia lol. and its the same in the lowcountry ppl down here are retarded too. i swear i wish i could run ppl off the road sometimes or it should be legal to punch stupid ppl in the face as long as there is a good reason

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Come up to NY/NJ sometime.. :) They say that on the GSP If you are in the left lane and holding up other cars YOU can get the ticket.. AND there are signs that say Keep right pass left....

6. silveradotrailblazer

Go down to Florida, thats where all the New Yorkers retire and move to so they can drive slow. Thats where Enkeiavalanche is going to move when he gets old.:lol:

7. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

MN is horrible for people just sitting in the left lane....im not nice to the people that do that either....ill ride them until i can get around and then cut them off(i have really bad road rage when it comes to the left lane) sadly ive noticed up here any ways most of the vehicles that ride in the left lane holding up faster traffic are women on cell phones.....go figure right?

8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

The biggest problems with the morons starting the rolling roadblocks (other than cell phones, & texting) is that they NEVER look in their rear view mirrors. The exception to this of course, is the women who are putting on their makeup grrrrr.

9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Been there done that NO THANKS!!!!! I'll stay up north and teach you southerners how to drive in the White stuff.... (Snow)....:glasses:

10. silveradotrailblazer

Its a deal, Enkeiavalanche!