1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is it possible to swap in a 4L80E for the stock 4L60E?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by 72Blazerod, Jan 7, 2007.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod New Member

Just wondering if these two transmissions can be swapped? If so, what would be involved and what parts would I need to put a 4L80E into my 1997 Tahoe 4x4? Has anyone ever made this swap? I would like to make my Tahoe a better tow vehicle.

Thanks,

Rod
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Not sure but I can tell you who will know.

Bone yards have substitution books, they tell what can fit where with what.

Most don't have a problem helping you out if they think they can sell you something, so just make like you want to buy one.
  3. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think you need an ECU as well.
    Why do you want a 4L60 the 4L80 is much stronger?
  4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Shouldn't be a hard swap, even if the bellhousing doesn't match you should be able to swap that. But you would still need to either have the ECU updated, or replaced.
    Why not see if you can get your hands on a wrecked 4x4 with an allison tranny.
  5. chevyloverss

chevyloverss New Member

Now this a swap i would like to see happen. I mean the 4L80E is better than the 4L60E but the Allison is a different animal. Having driven trucks with Allison and 4L8OE tranny’s I would definitely go with the Allison. Not only is more durable but is 5 spd auto and could tow a lot more.