1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is it worth $800?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by LisaO925, Sep 8, 2009.

1. LisaO925

LisaO925 Rockstar

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1363056740.html

What is the worst case scenerio with the " rod knock".

Ive never heard of a lien title before, sounds odd.

I love the truck. Trying to decide if its a good deal, a steal, or something that just wouldnt be worth it.
  2. lancer

lancer Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

usually a lein title means he owes money somewhere and used the truck as collateral, i'd be leary of that but if its all good sounds like a hell of a deal to me
  3. 91Sub4x4

91Sub4x4 Member

Rod knock usually occurs when one or more of the rod bearings is starved of oil and spins inside the rod cap. After the rod bearing spins there is a 1/8" space where the rod bangs against the crankshaft when traveling up and down. Depending on how bad it is and how long it was driven that way, the rod and crankshaft may have to be replaced.

A lein on the title means someone else technically owns it; bank, dealership, etc..

I'd offer him $700 and see what he says, but honestly for $800 I'd buy it
  4. LisaO925

LisaO925 Rockstar

What are the chances of me buying it, and someone coming after it, and taking it away from me?

I think I will get it. Not right now, give it a few weeks. If its meant to be, it will still be there. It gives me more time to research things, and hunt around for a shop to look at the engine.

If I do end up getting it is it okay to drive about 60+ miles from where it is to where I live? If not, I have AAA and can just have it towed.
  5. 91Sub4x4

91Sub4x4 Member

No one will come after it as long as you get the title with the truck. It may take a few days for the owner to get the title from the lein holder though. They have to take your money to whoever has the title and pay them off.

It'll probably make it on the 60 mile trip but I would have AAA on standby just in case. Driving with rod knock increases the risk of the rod cap coming off. Then the rod exits the block stage left...but that's if the problem really is rod knock...
  6. LisaO925

LisaO925 Rockstar

Im so tempted to just go get it...*sigh

But, I promised myself I would not go into anything without thought. And 1/2 hour of thought doesnt count!!!

:grrrrrr: Plus, we always make sure our bills are paid a month ahead (atleast). And so we spend the first part of the month saving and stocking away money to have all of the next months bills paid. Anything after the 24th is play money.

Damn I hate being responsible:lol:
  7. LisaO925

LisaO925 Rockstar

Oh, and Thank you very much for the info / advice