is it worth it? 2001 2500 HD trade for work

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 2low, Jun 27, 2010.

1. 2low

2low New Member

hello all i was offered a 01 2500hd with a plow to trim and finish a house. i would like to hear your guys inputs it has 340,000km (211.27 Miles) it has no rust and just got a brand new gm exhaust.
    the only problem it has is the check engine light flashes under load

is it worth it? i figure the job will be worth $9000

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What body style? ext cab or crew cab, what motor does it have? Also what plow does it have?That will greatly change its value.. If it is a diesel Crew cab, and something that you would like to have otherwise not persay since the CEL flashing can be a problem that needs to be taken care of soon.

3. trapperdon

trapperdon Rockstar 100 Posts

what type of services have been done on it? tune up, mods, major repair work....

it's easy to get a code reader and find out whats wrong & why the CEL is on under load...
    go to any auto parts store & they can read the codes for you.

thats alot of miles, i'd want to know if its been well maintained or not thou...

4. 2low

2low New Member

it is the new body style, crew cab with a 6.0l it also does have power windows,locks,heated mirrors, power seats, the plow is a rt3 8ft boss straight blade

i know a tune up was just done 2 months ago plugs,wires and fuel filter

5. murdog94

Well i guess, I would have them fix the CEL issue, then you would be alright. But if you end up at 9K into the job then that is a bit of change. but if you are talking about $9K as in labor included, and it will cost you less with materials I would go for it. Here in the states that plow is worth $2K, and the truck is worth $6-$7K.... But with the CEL on that could be any list of things with out it being diagnosed.

6. 2low

2low New Member

its 9k of labor he is supplying the stuff for the house. i scanned it there was no codes but if i look at the history data there shows misfires so im thinking it needs new coils

7. murdog94

I would lean twards possibly needing a tune up period...