Is it worth it to trade in my new truck on an HHR

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by RatRod, Apr 24, 2008.

1. RatRod

RatRod Rockstar 100 Posts

I bought my 2008 Silverado because of a job that I had and they would pay mileage. The job didnt work out and I am thinking about getting a HHR panel. I currently get 18 MPG with the truck 4.3 V6 auto mixed driving and 5K miles on it. The dealer says they could keep my payment close to what Ii am paying now. just need some advise on what to do. Thanks.

2. RedHoe01

RedHoe01 Rockstar

I personally would not do that. A chevy truck will always have a higher resale value than an HHR will and you can do more with it. Unless you have a family that will not fit in the truck. Is it extended cab or regular cab?

3. RatRod

It is a regular cab but we have a family vehicle.

4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would say keep it for the same reasons.. the gas mileage isnt that bad at 18 and your going to kick yourself when you may need the truck and dont have it

5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You didn't mention if you leased the truck or have a conventional loan. Of course I'm a Dave Ramsey fan and would only pay cash for whatever I drive so I might not be the best source of advice for your situation. I hope you find a job that you like.:glasses:

6. travisn

travisn Rockstar

word to ramsey. but im still a wimp and even though i sold my motorcycle to pay off a credit card, im still trading up to a silverado (from an s10) in a few weeks. but his book did help a lot.

id say keep the truck, what good is a panel hhr? unless youre delivering flowers or something. lol

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What would you hope to gain by trading for the HHR? What are the terms of the existing loan (beyond monthly payment)? Terms on the new loan? In the long run, will the purchase price of the HHR be less or more than the pickup?

8. RatRod

I wanted to trade it in for better mileage especially after we went by the gas station this evening and it is $3.89gal reg. I wanted to ask to make sure I have covered all my bases and i may be better off keeping it.

9. travisn

travisn Rockstar

whats the hhr get? ive never actually been in one of those before... kinda looks like a pt cruiser.

10. RatRod

The HHR in mixed driving about 25 mpg , highway 32mpg.