1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is it worth to add supercharger?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by TheLearner, Sep 4, 2008.

1. TheLearner

TheLearner New Member

Hi all,

I am getting a (used) Yukon 2005 SLE (4x4) next week. I am excited to have it. I live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and gas is cheaper than water (premium gas '95' gallon is 60 cent and regular gas '91' gallon is 45 cent.

I surely don't have a problem in having an extra power to the car and thinking about upgrading the 5.3L engine with supercharger and take the 295 hp to 385 hp and increase the torque from 335 lb./ft. to 415 lb./ft.

I will be buying the kit from Vortech Engineerings http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...112&cat_key=23 , Part # 4GL218-120SQ (2nd last).

As I am just a handy on tools and have done a light maintenance on all my cars myself. I feel that I can add the kit myself.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

really. 60 cents a gallon. wtf. A supercharger is always cool and will definitely increase your horse power a substantial amount.
  3. TheLearner

TheLearner New Member

Guys,
    As the kit will be shipped to Saudi Arabia and I won't have access to any additional tools, I am looking for a kit that comes as a complete package (all nuts & bolts).
    Do you think Vortech Engineering will be a right choice or is there someone out there who delivers a complete supercharger package.
    Thanks
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

HMMMM, N2O is cheaper per hp (can you get it in SA?) . When did Chevy go to the long drivetrain warranty? You could pull the N20 system off pretty easily if there is a concern, but not the siupercharger.

I would be tempted to look into the 6 liter. You can buy them from GM- new- for not too much $3000-$4000 rank guess.

The 6 liter will make about the same power, but it will do it without strain.

Is your transmission/rear end/front end up to 415 lb-ft?? I think the 4L60E is rated to just 380 lb-ft or so?? Of course you can just keep your foot out of it until you are at higher RPMS, and that is easier on the driveline.

I hate my above CS advice. I am abviously getting old and too cautious. Just do it and have fun with the cheap gas. I still like the N20 idea better because I am a cheap skate, and old.

You are a good amateur, you can install it pretty easy- couple of weekends. Just multiply the claimed hours to install by the manufacturer by 2X TO 3X. They always lie a little about how long it takes ; guess they assume we are all pros with lifts and every pneumatic tool in the world.

Luck,
    Charlie
  5. TheLearner

TheLearner New Member

couple of weekends, you said?

Hi phoebeisis,
    I was thinking that it wont take more than a weekend (2 days) to get it installed. I don't want to go to work by a cab, guess I am acting cheap now. :)
    But I thought that I will be installing a new HP fuel pump, HP injectors, and the supercharger. I was giving two hours for each task.
    http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product_variation.php?pvk=653
    Is there something that I am missing?
    Thanks
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

16-20 hours -10 hours Sat, Sun and maybe another 2-4 hours Sat night. A weekend might be enough. What is the claimed installation time-8 hours?

I always manage to do something wrong, and it doubles my install time. If you take your time- read the instruction twice while staring into the engine bay - you might do it in just 1.5X install time.

I would spend a lot of time cleaning the engine bay 1st. After cleaning I would spray some sort of penetrating oil in the nuts/bolts/screws and then do a metal on metal "tap" on everyone, so you set up a little vibration to get them loose easily. Your truck is nearly new ,so this is probably overkill.

I would clean under the hood really well 1st- hose,simple green or any other soap/detergent. Don't high pressure spray the electronics of course, but they are usually pretty water resistant.

The less dirt. grease, and grit around, the easier it is to work.

Luck,
    Charlie
  7. TheLearner

TheLearner New Member

Salute of respect

Hi Charlie,

I have to salute you for giving minute instructions that we don't follow before starting a major task.
    Now I am awaiting my Yukon baby, filling up the paper works etc. I hope to get it soon.

I will update you guys (forum) of each detail for the upgrade.

Once again, thanks
  8. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

Shoot, go for it.
  9. Calbaby968

Calbaby968 New Member 100 Posts

If gas was that cheap here, I'd put 2 superchargers on my truck and keep my foot in it all the time. Enjoy the job and have fun driving it.
  10. crane3447

crane3447 New Member 100 Posts

Do you know if your numbers on the lbs-ft rating for the tranny are right? I'm looking at adding a blower and can't afford to blow-up my tranny.