Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Is my 2002 suburban LT a "flexfuel" model???

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by mudrock1980, May 2, 2010.

1. mudrock1980

mudrock1980 New Member

I recently (a week ago) bought a 2002 suburban k1500 LT 4wd. In reading the owner's manual I learned that this model could or could not be the flexfuel compatible engine, but it does not tell you how to determine which one you have. I have learned that the fuel filters are different (one for the "gas" engine is threaded fittings on both ends, and the one for the "flexfuel" is threaded on the aft side and a snap in type clip doohicky for the front.) A great little piece of knowledge until I was told that they could be either or with the gas engine or the flexfuel engine, was told by the fella at NAPA that these suburbans can have either filter and the engine does not matter, it's about where it was built and which lines they used. Anyway, my 'Burb does not have a "flexfuel" badge on it, nor does it have anything to tell me which I have on any of the engine compartment stickers. Please shed some light on this for me.

Thank You.

2. ecombe

ecombe New Member

Mudrock1980,

Assuming you have the 5.3L Vortec...if so, check your VIN. If the 8th character is a 'Z", you have a flex fuel capable vehicle.

FYI - I believe something like > 70% of the suburbans made that year were flex fuel capable. I'm not sure how accurate the filter type information is, but I do have the "quick connect" on mine and I know it's flex fuel from the "Z" designation in the VIN.

Never used E85 myself. Not readily available in my neck of the woods. I know it's eco-friendly, but I've read about the decreased power and mileage associated with E85.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It will have a Flexfuel badge on the rear door just above the bumper if it is (auto makers want it visible that a vehicle is flexfuel, especially a truck). Also dont be surprised when you get a little dip in fuel economy with the E85

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  4. mudrock1980

mudrock1980 New Member

Going out to check the VIN... My fuel filter is the "quick connect" on one end too, but no flexfuel badge.. i"ll let ya know when I check the vin.

5. vncj96

Not sure if GM did it, but other car companies actually give them the yellowish green gas cap to distinguish it as well to help remind you when you are at the pump

6. mudrock1980

mudrock1980 New Member

it is the "z" for the 8th character. I don't know why I don't have the flexfuel badge though. It might be because I have the rear liftgate with flipper glass instead of the barn doors??? Either way, thanks for the help.

7. vncj96

Am sure the previous owner just took it off. Just a word of warning though, with the E85 you will see a dip in MPG and if it has never run on it, it could lead to some gasket issues. I know there was a recall on gaskets for some vehciles that were E85 but not sure which ones, so look into that.

8. trapstud

trapstud Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

To the best of my knowledge the none of the suburbans had the badge until the body style change. I have used E85 in my suburban and found that on the highway the mpg dropped by about 1.5. But part of what ecombe said was incorrect. You could see increase in performance after the computer has adjusted to it because it has a higher octane (105). Here is a link:http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Myths

9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I just checked a Station by me in Spring Valley NY They are at $299.99 for E-85 Reg is at $2.99-$3.07 in NY But I can still get it for $2.63-2.79 in NJ... I'll stick with Reg...

10. LowcountrySuburban

LowcountrySuburban New Member

Yeah, my '03 is a flex-fuel(based on the Z in the vin). They didn't start putting the badge on until fuel prices skyrocketed in '05, and it became the "green" thing to do.

I've never used it, but, from what I've seen, its more expensive and your fuel economy goes down.