Is the AWD in a 2006 Yukon XL capable of handling muddy dirt roads

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by bk1981, Nov 10, 2013.

1. bk1981

bk1981 New Member

I'm looking to buy either the Yukon Xl or Suburban and just saw a Yukon XL Denali that I liked. Can anyone tell me if the AWD is capable of driving muddy dirt roads that I experience while hunting in North Dakota? First hand experience from someone would be great.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Like you, I would have the same concerns. I'm sure it would be strong enough, the question is more around the point when the power transfer occurs. Does it occur when you need it and will the sudden power transfer to the front cause problems you don't need.

I was with a guy with a RAV4 yesterday, every time the AWD kicked in, the truck tried to go sideways for a few feet. It would straighten out and go straight after that, but the transfer was a little shaky. I'd had rather have my 4WD (on demand) t-case.

3. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

it does fine. My buddy Ryan and I take his up in the mountains all the time. Believe his is and 08? He's rocking 285/70/17 Goodyear m/t's

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

For most people, in all but the more extreme situations where you need traction/power to all wheels ...AWD systems do just fine.

In fact, they were designed for light offroading, muddy roads, snow and ice, etc.

I've heard of people with AWD for these years say that they are 60/40 and that causes about a 1 mpg difference in fuel economy.

However, no more having to worry about 4hi, 4lo, etc.

5. bk1981

bk1981 New Member

Thanks for the help guys.

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Like said above, it will handle it. I would reconsider the AWD though. My cousin has the same year yukon xl denali as my yukn xl. His is AWD, mine 4wd. He is constantly replacing front end parts (wheel hubs, front diff parts, u joints) and as mentioned above he gets 1mpg less. In my opinion the 4wd is more versatile. You have the option of Auto 4wd, 2wd, 4 hi, and 4 low.

7. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

agreed entirelt