Is the fuel gauge in the cluster ever accurate and can it be adjusted?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by PantheraUncia, Aug 23, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

This has been on my mind for a while.

I know the gauge is accurate when the tank is full and when it is empty. But everything in between seems way off. Is there any way to get the fuel gauge accurate? at least at each quarter of a tank?

I do realize that if you are not parked level, it will change how the float or what ever it is reads the amount of fuel you have, but there has to be a better way.

2. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

For me, when I've had vehicles that seemed "odd," I simply filled up at each point, to know what the gauge really meant. For example, after your next fill up, at 3/4 tank, fill up again. That's how many gallons are consumed. Then do it for 1/2 and 1/4 tank on the next two fill ups. Then you get a very close approximation of how much fuel remains (or is consumed) by each point.

The design of the float and associated electronics make it susceptible to inaccuracies at the gauge. Not much you can do about it, given the design of your tank and pump location. The only point at which it would make a difference is if your gauge position isn't being accurate due to corrosion, deposits, etc. (Where one or more step isn't functional, so it reads higher or lower)

A word of caution, it's not a great idea to let your fuel tank go less than 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank. The fuel pump is submerged in the fuel by design, to help keep it cool. Un-submerged pumps run hotter and fail more quickly. Keeping the fuel at 1/4 or higher helps extend the life of the fuel pump (more accurately... helps prevent early failure).

-Skippy

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  3. Big_Mike

Big_Mike Member 100 Posts

I don't know how much money you want to invest in this concern... Something I wonder is if the gauge may need calibrating?

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Yah I've just sucked it up and just fill the truck when it gets less than 1/8 of a tank my gauge is bad it can range from almost empty to full in a couple mins from going down hill to up when I have a 1/4