1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is the V-8 Going the Way of the Dinosaur?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Big_Mike, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Big_Mike

Big_Mike Member 100 Posts

Modern engines now typically utilize 6 cylinders or less. The V-8 is still used, but usually with only trucks and high performance vehicles. What does everyone else think of this? While V-8s are not typically known for fuel efficiency, they are very useful engines to make power with. Anyone think that the V-8 will be around for a while longer? In my opinion, I hope so! Can anyone think of any advantages of using V-8s over engines with less cylinders? Disadvantages? All comments are welcome.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

V8's are here to stay as long as GM keeps making them more powerful and efficient. Now with variable valve timing and the ability to shut off cylinders when not needed the next Gen chevy v8 will be as efficient as a V6 but significantly more powerful then current ones. Think about this just from 1995 to 1996 the 350 went from 200 HP up to 250 HP because of the addition of SFI instead of TBI also increasing compression and other things like more computer control and what not, but point is for GM the V8 is here to stay for the long run unlike it is for Ford who has created a V6 to increase mileage but its as powerful as their smallest V8 but has a turbo. GM hasn't needed to add turbos to their V8's because they are powerful and efficient. Also V8's produce tons of torque.
  3. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Personally, I think we're going to see a huge influx of turbos into the market in the next few years. The ability to create so much power while essentially using waste gasses makes it an attractive option for those looking to have the fuel efficiency of a V-6 with the power of a V-8. Will this make V-8 disappear? Nah. There will always be a market for the powerhouses. Too many American's tow. Going to be a whole lot more V-6 turbos though (maybe even superchargers... price will be king).

Either way, I see boost at the future of our power generation, rather than massive improvements in the engineering of V-6 and V-8 engines. What comes to mind is the essentially defunct V-10 that attempted to upstage the V-8 a few years back. Lots of extra parts without a bunch of gain.

[Edit] Yeah, I know V-10s are still available and have a following. Before the smear starts against my word choice, I was referring to "Defunct" in the way one would refer to a program that simply never caught on mainstream, NOT referring to product availability or production. As I recall, the marketing programs hailed the V-10s as the powerhouses of the future. Sadly, with 25% more cylinders, they really didn't provide that much more gain, and the market demand didn't see the point over a solid V-8 that produced the same (if not more) HP and torque.

-Skippy
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  4. Conlan Rose

I agree with the V10 just not being the answer at the time it also got worse gas mileage just as fuel began to sky rocket with minimal gain in power and torque. But yeah I agree turbos are the future the only problem is longevity of the turbo. I don't know about if they are built to last because on some older cars turbos would die after the car hit 100,000+, but for all I know these turbos are super longlasting and build really well. Only time will tell what will change in the next 10-20 years with cars. I hope that cars start getting upwards of 60+ mpg and trucks start getting 24+mpg highway. No matter what my V8 is staying in my truck paired with its 4-speed.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The V8 is not going anywhere anytime, soon...
  6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

V-8 is too common, they will not be going anywhere, with the turbo technology advancing at the rate it is,yes, 4-cylinder turbos, as well as v-6 turbos will start to make quite an appearance in the near future, however i do believe that cars and trucks will not be anywhere near what they are now in about 20 years, some crazy new concept of transportation is more than likely to be introduced...
  7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well think about it. Trucks need power and there are 2 main things in the end that you need to start with. 1. The number of pistons and 2. the size of the pistons. Then you can add the turbo or what ever you want. Could they make an v6 8.0L, sure, would it be give you good MPG's and torque? No.

Same on the other end. 400k sports cars have v12's but the displacement is still 4.0L - 7.0L. I guess you would have a 10.0L v12 in a pickup.

Some of the largest trucks in the world apparently are v24's ( 24 cylinder's) :great:

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Powertrain

The Caterpillar 797 series trucks employ mechanical drive powertrains in contrast to the diesel-electric powertrains of similar haul trucks offered by competitors.[SUP][4][/SUP] During initial development in 1997, a diesel-electric powertrain was considered for the 797, but this powertrain configuration was not developed because Caterpillar considered a mechanical drive powertrain more appropriate for market conditions at that time.[SUP][8][/SUP]
    [edit]797 engine

A gross 3,400 hp (2,535 kW) [net 3,211 hp (2,394 kW)] Cat 3524B HD EUI 24-cylinder, high displacement, electronic unit injection, quad single-stage turbocharged, aftercooled,four-stroke diesel engine powers the 797.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP] The Cat 3524B HD engine is a tandem unit consisting of two 12-cylinder Cat 3512B HD engine blocks coupled to operate as a single engine.[SUP][11][/SUP]
    [edit]797B engine

A gross 3,550 hp (2,647 kW) [net 3,370 hp (2,513 kW)], twin turbocharged version of the Cat 3524B engine powers the 797B.[SUP][12][/SUP] The power rating of the 3524B is valid up to anelevation of 8,500 ft (2,591 m) or 15,000 ft (4,572 m) with a high altitude arrangement.[SUP][13][/SUP]
    [edit]797F engine

A gross 4,000 hp (2,983 kW) [net 3,793 hp (2,828 kW)] Cat C175-20 ACERT single block, 20-cylinder, electronic common rail injection, quad turbocharged, air-to-air aftercooled, four-stroke diesel engine powers the 797F.[SUP][14][/SUP] The power rating of the C175-20 is valid up to an elevation of 7,000 ft (2,134 m) or up to 16,000 ft (4,877 m) with a high altitude arrangement.[SUP][15][/SUP]
    [edit]Transmission

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_797#797B_engine
  8. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I believe the turbos will come on scene, but consumers will see more engine failures. Turbos heat the oil so much that it breaks down faster. This isn't an issue as long as maintenance schedules are maintained, but I rarely see "run of the mill" folks pay that close attention to the oil replacement cycles. It's one of the reasons "cheap" cars fail so much, in my opinion. They're purchased by folks looking to scrimp and save, and one of the ways they do that is by extending their oil changes beyond reasonable. It's not uncommon for me to hear of folks going 10K miles between changes. All reasons aside, with a turbo, you do a 10K change, and you're damaging something in a big way. Unsure how this will affect/impact reliability of these vehicles.

Turbo is great, but higher maintenance means you'd better be paying attention.

-Skippy
  9. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

The turbos they're using on smaller production engines aren't making enough heat in the oil to increase wear that much, plus the oil has gotten a lot better where it doesn't break down as badly as it used to. Synthetics are king now.

The real problem with maintenance is people being lazy. People just don't know how to check the oil, read a dipstick, or examine the consistency or smell of it, any more. They either wait until the light goes off (which is too late), or if they're lucky enough to be driving a new car with a warranty, wait for the service department to call and schedule it. They don't constantly check their gauges, or even necessarily know how to read all of them. Ignorance is a growing problem, and all the available distractions today, doesn't help get people educated about anything.
  10. Conlan Rose

I agree with that 100% [MENTION=40835]dobey[/MENTION]. One of my friends had their car overhead while driving around town and they had no clue why it would do that. I could put money on it that shes never checked her coolant. Its great having people look at me weird at school when I just open up the hood just to check everything out. Very few people pay attention to their car's needs I know almost every one on this site does but out side of car/truck enthusiasts and mechanics or handy people no one ever checks under the hood. I have to my truck has a lot of miles and mainly factory parts or parts that I don't know when they were last replaced. I change my oil usually before interval because I'm trying to get as much dirt and sludge out as I can.