Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Is the V-8 Going the Way of the Dinosaur?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Big_Mike, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Heh, people's growing ignorance makes me think of Larry Niven's 'Ringworld' series ... which has a backdrop world in which technology crumbled because no one could remember the skills necessary to maintain it ... because it was so automated no one had to.

2. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Amen to both those posts. Once or twice a year, without fail, I'll get folks call me because they're stuck on the road somewhere with a failed vehicle that simply needed basic maintenance, but without it, major component failure occurred. The most recent was a kid who was burning oil due to a failed head gasket. Didn't bother to replace the gasket (figured it would be REALLY expensive... I don't charge... was a $20 repair..), and then tried to drive it 2 hours without first checking the oil level. The check oil light came on, and instead of pulling over, he ignored it, figuring he'd deal with it when he got back from the trip. ... he had 145 miles to go. LOL! He completely blew the engine. He called from the side of the road asking if he could just get some oil. I asked him what the engine did when it stopped working. "It started really clacking for a while, and then it was banging really loud, and then there was a loud bang! and it just stopped working." I was flabbergasted. Clacking didn't stop you from driving? REALLY LOUD didn't stop you from driving? Had to wait until his engine seized before he stopped driving, and then hoped he could just add oil. Totally cracked me up.

The one prior to that was a check engine light, destroyed a catalytic convertor when they didn't bother to check the code (bad spark plug). $2 part turned into $300 in repairs. Again, a waste.

My favorite comments: "OH?! I didn't even notice that light was on." "That light has been on for months, I figured it was just normal." and my absolute favorite "well, I didn't really pay attention to when the oil was changed. Probably last year sometime, but I can't remember."

Whoa. LOL

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  3. SurrealOne

My ex-wife had an engine sieze on her and it was replaced under warranty. This was before we were married. After we got married the same car engine (that had been replaced) seized again. I asked when she had changed the oil and her response was, "What oil?"

*facepalm* No wonder the damn thing croaked, twice. I'm glad to be rid of her, by the way!

4. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I'm amazed they honored the warranty without asking for evidence. Some yahoo up here at work did that with a brand new car. Drove it 15,000 miles without ever bothering to change the factory fill. He just kept meaning to do it, but never got around to it. He drove 160 miles a day too and from work and the miles racked up so fast he didn't really think about it (so he says). Was NOT something he should have shared with the group. He was an engineer. People's opinion of him plummeted. Amazing that 1) he would do something so stupid, and 2) would talk about it jokingly.

It's amazing to me that engines can last as long as they can with bad oil. No oil is a guaranteed failure point, but oil lasts a surprisingly long time if it's still in the system. Eventually the sludge catches up, but it's miracle stuff all things considered.

Skippy

5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm constantly working on my girlfriends sorority sisters cars becuase of lack of maintenance. It's ridiculous that they are driving brand new range rovers and Denalis and have never even check they oil. Lucky for most of them and me I have them coming to me to change there oil. Usually get paid in liquor but some just hand me cash. The worst is my gf who just got a range rover supercharged and has yet to was it. If i was driving that car it'd never be dirty

6. SurrealOne

Her daddy was (and might still be) a well-known attorney who worked for the DA's office -- and I bet that helped. It sure as hell wasn't helpful during my divorce, though!

7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

People like that drive me crazy a lot of the time I'll tell a friend who suspects something it wrong to let me see/hear it. Instead they usually say it nothing and go about their day until they tell me their car died or its now in the shop. Yes have I been guilty of doing this of course. That's what happened with my brakes I didn't realize how bad they were until it was to late and it cost me $850 of course this was a huge brake job and included doing the rear axle seal which had destroyed one of my drums.

Also I happen to ignore my check engine light because my o2 sensors are slowly dying one by one, but at least I'm aware of why its on and made sure it isn't a major problem.

8. SurrealOne

Replace the sensors or, if you don't care about them, get a tuner and shut them off and then clear the code. :)

9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I plan to as soon as possible just need the $$$ also buying a code reader for myself so my shop doesn't have to keep checking codes for me and saying yup another dead o2 sensor. Luckily only one is dead atm the twin to it was just replaced, they are the ones after the cat.

10. Big_Mike

Big_Mike Member 100 Posts

Wow, this thread has taken off! Thanks for the replies!!! Well when people show a lack of care for their vehicles, at least that allows "job security" for mechanics/technicians! There's a positive way to look at it, although I feel sorry for the neglected vehicle(s).... And as hinted at up above, higher performance cars usually require more periodic maintenance. It is amazing how resilient engines are, as Skippy mentioned. Thanks again everyone!