Is the XM antenna in the Onstar Antenna?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Oscarvan, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Rockstar

Talking about that little shark fin on the roof.....

Are they one and the same? or does the XM get it's signal from somewhere else....

I hate the shark fin, and will never use OnStar....so if that's all it's for it just may come off!!

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The onstar and XM are one in the same

3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Rockstar

Darn, I was afraid you were going to say that.....:grrrrrr: Oh well, the sharkfin stays.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On my 05' there were two things on the roof, so consider yourself lucky that you only have one thing on the roof. Another suggestion is ditch the shark fin and get an aftermarket antennae for the XM, I have seen them where they go underneath the dash and you can't even see them. Or another popular one is a small patch with one wire coming out of it that goes on the inside of your back window, it looks like a rear window defogger so you can't even see it on tinted glass. Look around and I bet they make one for your truck.

5. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Rockstar

I hear you on the stealth XM antenna. Problem is I HATE when I lose the signal and the thing runs out of buffer, and it is not uncommon around here......So, I need to keep the reception as best as I can and, unfortunately, a good rooftop antenna is the best answer.......

6. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

You might end up using the onstar one day if ever get in an accident