Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Is there a huge difference in wire quality between companies?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Falcone, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Falcone

Falcone Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if there is a huge difference in quality between different companies? I have a local guy selling wire by the foot for $1.50 and he has as follows

Red 8 gauge Tsunami

Brown 8 gauge Rockford fosgate

Purple 4 gauge lightning audio

Blue 10 gauge Kunuconceptz wire

Now I want the purple 4gauge wire purely for the face its purple and will accent and look nice. Is lighting audio alot worse then the RF or Tsunami? Or is their 8gauge bettwen the LA's 4gauge?

2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Any of that wire should be ok...what are you using it for? You want to select the right gauge for the distance and what your using it for , like what size amp etc.

http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Never heard of lightning audio, but as mentioned above, any of those brands should work. Just make sure you get the right size for the amount of power you need for your amplifier :glasses:

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Lightning Audio is owned by Rockford. Wire is wire.. As long as it's not house wire. 12 volt is made for the car and home wire will not bend as easy.. Get a good shielded RCA and a clean ground and you should have no problems.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Like the others posted just make sure you use the correct gauge for the project.
    The only time I'd worry about proper wire construction is if I was buying wire or electrical compenents made in Great Britain, they use to much cheap metal when making their wire which is the reason why so many British cars have wiring issues.

6. Falcone

Falcone Rockstar 100 Posts

Is it possible to have to large a gauge? I'm only adding in a small I think 200 watt amp and a JL 8" W3V3 I had 8 gauge before, a stinger audio kit in the old truck and it seemed to work fine.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A 8Ga will be fine for that.. But if you ever plan to upgrade you might want to put in a 4ga. Just remember If you do upgrade your ground wire
    by the motor and your Alt to Batt cable...

8. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Rockstar 100 Posts

imo run 0/2 gauge and then split it off into 4. that way in the future no matter what you will have enough wire to run pretty much everything.