Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Is there a softer metal that these GM idiots could have found?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Fozzy, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

What kind of #%&%^& is the engine oil drain plug made of? I've seen harder plastics? Sitting in the house right now rather than setting the truck on fire... Rant off...

2. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I'd say TGIF, but it sounds like you have some work to do on the truck this weekend?

3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the drain plug is made of a softer metal so you do not pull the threads out of the oil pan when you over tighten it. The drain plug only needs like 18 ftlbs to be tight so it should never strip if it is put on properly.

4. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

Well.. after going into the house and calming down... I went back out and basically twiddled around with it.. then just gave up and basically tapped a socket onto the bolt and the it came out.. quick trip to the local Autozone to purchase another.. (with a larger bolt end) and its back up and running,, sheesh.. I get sick of ten minute jobs turning into excursions.. ugh! so next time.. remind me that the plug is now a 15mm... Rant over.. need an Asbach and coke!

5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Same thing happened to my trans pan oil plug. I ended up strippin it trying to get it off

6. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Whatever size your drain plugs are, use a six point socket on 'em. Those things are soft enough that even the correct size 12 pointer might round 'em. And, whoever goes near a drain plug with an adjustable wrench needs their gearhead card revoked.

7. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

Yea, I suspect the oil change places.. I have had the truck since Dec 2010 and this only my second oil change. I (after cooler heads prevailed) remembered that it was goobered up last time I changed the oil and that I was going to get another oil plug last time I did this. So I got that done and will hopefully never have this same problem. The new oil plug is a couple of MM larger than the old one.