1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is there a third brake light wire for a cap?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by steved, May 24, 2012.

1. steved

steved Former Member

My Dodge had a stubbed wire for a third brake light in a cap/camper shell sticking out of the main wiring harness. I think I have read that GM also has this, but I cannot find where I read that. I'm mounting lights on my toolbox, one of which is a tail/brake light bar (no turn signals).

I'm looking to tie into that circuit on a 2012 2500HD...anyone give me an idea where I should look (or if this wire even exists?)?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When I pulled my headliner down to sound deaden it required me to also pull all of the wiring for the 3rd brake light. I know on my 04 1500 there was no stub for this. (It'd be easy enough to tap the third brake light wiring, though.)

I don't know if 2500HD's and/or NNBS are different... I just know what I didn't see/find on my own vehicle ... and where I didn't find it. If it exists on my truck, maybe it's in another location?

Surreal
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

On my Avalanche I just taped into my factory 3rd brake light Then put a switch in so I could put the Factory light on when I'm camping in the back..

IMG_1631resize.jpg If you look at the left side of the bed you can see the Thumb Switch.. NOW LOOK above and you can see the Factory Light..:gasp:
  4. steved

steved Former Member

I found this thread...this is what I'm talking about...

Hi,
    Newbie here.
    There is a 3rd light waterproof connector in the wiring harness at the back for toppers, but my local dealer says the pigtail to plug into it is 70 bucks! (at least here in canada).

I hate to cut into the wiring and use a crimp connector as it will corrode pretty fast in the salt used on the roads in the winter. I've got some but connectors that self solder and shrink seal so I guess I'll try those.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

http://www.etrailer.com/question-37192.html

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

http://www.etrailer.com/question-20223.html

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

http://www.etrailer.com/question-19219.html
  5. SurrealOne

There's a light switch and a truck in that pic???
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Yep look where her Knee is pointing.. 1 flat 3 way switch. up for the 3rd brake light (Mood Lighting) down for the bright LED's under the rail..
  7. SurrealOne

They have knees? :rofl:
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Ok here is a better pic... switch.jpg Switch is on the left side
  9. SurrealOne

The other pic was better, Enkei. :lol:
  10. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

Check in the manual. I think that's where the location is listed. It could be on the d/s under front of bed, or d/s by the rear bumper depending on mdel and factory packages.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012