1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

is there a way to use built in phone module - 05 burban

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jman308, Feb 23, 2009.

1. jman308

jman308 New Member

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there is a way to connect the built in phone module in my burban to my existing cell phone? Essentially what I want to do is plug (or wireless through bluetooth) my cell phone in and use the speakers & mic as if I was using the phone that came with the truck...I don't use the built in one at all. I tried searching but was unsure what to call it...

TIA

J
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use mine and I have to purchase minutes to do so but the other option was to add it to an existing Verizon account and share the minutes. I am not aware of a way to tie in your cell phone via a bluetooth setup to use it in place of the Onstar/Hands free calling feature.
  3. jman308

jman308 New Member

Verizon? Can you have it changed over to another carrier?
  4. playmaker

playmaker New Member

I've only heard of Verizon as the carrier.

Also, I've heard it's more expensive than regular cell plan, but I'm not sure about this one. Anybody know?
  5. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Verizon is the only carrier for Onstar.
  6. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

if you want to use bluetooth you will likely hav eto get an aftermarket stereo. the harness if you have onstar and stuff like that is really expensive. at least it is here any way. my truck doesnt have all that so i got my harness for like 130. there are a few after market stereos that have bluetooth. and there are some that have the option to buy a bluetooth interface box of some kind.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

When we bought my wifes HHR we were offered the option of having her cell phone be useable through the vehicles integrated cell phone. You have to have your OnStar activated and have a balance of minutes on your OnStar cell phone to do this, you can use another carrier (in our case Cingular) but you'll have to pay an additional fee for the transfer to your carrier, and your phone needs to be Bluetooth.
    If you have Verizon there is no additional fee you just need to get OnStar to activate the feature.
  8. Dan

Dan Rockstar 100 Posts