1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is there something bent in my drive line?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Fine Burban, Nov 3, 2013.

1. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

It prolly is not tread seperation, I only tossed that in as a chevy buddy of mine ran across one of those cant pass it up deals on a 1 ton Dodge truck, a few months into owning it the front end started feeling like he was on wash boards on the front between 40 and 55 mph, A guy at work told him to swap the front tires to the rear, and the bounce shifted from front to rear, one tire was the culprit, two new tires she was smooth sailing again. This was a couple of years ago. I agree, could be a number of things, just have to trouble shoot down the list till you arrive at the auh haaaaa moment..
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A quick check might be to take a look at where the drive shaft weights are and see if any have fallen off (you'd notice a clean(er) rectangle/square pattern of where it may have fallen off from). I lost one of my weights, which caused the vibration only occur at higher speeds but I can't remember or noticed if acceleration or deceleration had made it worse or better. In any case, this one is not too much trouble or takes a lot of time to look at.

Good luck!
  3. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Can you get somebody to follow your Burb while doing 30mph to look at how the rear tires look when it bounces that much? I think this is a tire issue.
  4. Fine Burban

Fine Burban Member

The only issue that I have with it being a tire issue is that it only happens under maintenance throttle and it does not get any worse until I reach 58 MPH thru 70 MPH. I know that is a balance issue though. I dont get to test higher speeds because the freeway is about 45 mins from where I live. I would imagine that the tread separation / vibration would increase at speed. At 40 MPH I do not notice it as much. I am going to look into the Pinion gear play and see what I can find. Maybe tomorrow morning I will post up more info as to what I find. Now would it be a transmission issue? My gut is telling me no but when in 3rd gear it happens but when I put it in second gear I cant feel it. I will have the woman ride with me tomorrow and see if she feels it in 2nd gear.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree! if it just came out of nowhere look for thrown weights. Also, check the rear pinion flange, where the yoke for your drive shaft bolts to the rear end. There should be a weight there.