1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is this a good idea to save gas at the pump? (Increase MPG Idea)

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by ShadowRejects, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys. I had a serious lighbulb moment the other day. Ok im pretty sure you all know that trucks get very poor MPG mainly because, Well their trucks, but not only that but because since their higher off the ground than most of these other cars, the wind catches on everything under the body and frame. Well i remember seeing where people would make full undercarriage protection for off road use to protect their components from catching on rocks by coving the entire underbody and frame with metal plating. Thats when it happened. What if i were to cover the ENTIRE underbody of my truck where possible with diamond metal plating so air can just flow smoothly under and out the back and not catch everything causing drag. Does it sound like a good idea? Has anyone ever tried it? With gas prices sky-rocketing these days i would like the save a tad bit of $$ at the pump
  2. Steban

Steban Rockstar

Seems like a lot of work, not sure if it will be worth it or if it will make a difference.
  3. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

How much would the plating cost though, I say we all just start a GMTC gas station where members get good prices and we all share the profits. Lol
  4. ShadowRejects

Well my local lowes sells 2x5 foot pieces for 76$ a piece. I know its a total ripoff. I might end up going to a scrap/junk yard and getting some for the cheap and clean them up. And LOL thats a good idea XD

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

True. i might wait til i get me a hold of some metal then try it out
  5. Highmarker

Highmarker Rockstar

How much added weight will that add to the truck? Added weight = lower MPG.
  6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Also alot of the issue has to do with the truck just being higher off the ground and for the older trucks having the aerodynamics of a wall. wide tires made a difference as well as the weight of the tires since it is increasing the rotational mass. Next just keeping up on a tune up will help a ton. The 5.7L vortec was efficent but nothing compared to the 1999 up vortecs. The truck is heavy also and there really isnt a way to help that out.
    But hey give it a whirle and let us know the results.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Also just having the front rubber air dam in place will help milage since the wind tunnel testing is what caused that to be put there to reduce drag. and just rember you will still have a large air bubble to pull behind the truck no matter what as well.
  7. ShadowRejects

no more than 10 lbs of metal. diamond metal is pretty light weight

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

aint that the truth LOL. and yea its cool what a simple mod can do. i might try it and let yall know how it works out