1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

is this a rare option?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by GM_Guy, Oct 29, 2007.

1. GM_Guy

GM_Guy New Member ROTM Winner

My friend and I were at another friend's shop today, and he showed us a 1980 Caprice Classic. we saw what appeared to be a stock 350 4bbl engine. it turned out to be a factory aluminum intake on it .(we tested it with a magnet )

was this some sort of rare option,or an assembly line mixup? appeared original,as it was caked with grime like the rest of the engine.
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would highly doubt it. It must have been aftermarket. If you can scrap it you might see a name. Is this one of your candidate cars?
  3. GM_Guy

oh heavens no.

I want to go no newer than '72 if I can
  4. Cableguy

It appears that a 1980 came with either a 267 V8, 305 V8 or an Olds 350 V8 diesel as options so my guess is you might have been looking at a 267 or the 305.
  5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts

caprice came in a diesel?
  6. Cableguy

Yes. It was an ordered option so I doubt there was alot ever built. The belching black smoke would be an absolute scream to watch. Remember Chevettes came in diesel too LOL
  7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I have an 81 Caprice wagon out back that had the diesel in it. $1000 every time it went in the shop. We were on our way to TN when we had engine problems for the 3rd time so I had a local shop put in a Olds Rocket 350.

Dam thing will pass anything but a gas station.
  8. GM_Guy

auto zone.com also showed a 350 4bbl was available too

hmmmmmm, this would make a neat street machine.....I'm considering it ;)
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  9. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

pay attention when going from a Diesel motor to a gas. Back when I did my conversion the only engine that would mount up to the tranny for the diesel engine was an Olds 350. Not sure if it was the same on the trucks.
  10. GM_Guy

this car was never a diesel..... it has a 350 chevy engine

out of curiousity, how much horsepower does it take for the engine to turn the A/C compressor?

if I get this car, I thought about deleting the A/C
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2007