1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

is this battery isolator worth the money?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by dadtruck, Sep 9, 2012.

1. dadtruck

dadtruck New Member

I hope this is the right forum......

I'm looking to build a dual battery system for my truck and I've been researching battery isolators and I found these: in power battery isolators.

is this a good idea to buy? It seems like it might be more reliable because their solid state....

- - - Updated - - -

some more info... http://inpowerllc.com/auxiliarybatteryswitches.php
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Solenoids are the least reliable form of isolator but also tend to be the cheapest ... and are usually reliable enough for stereo applications. Diode-based isolators are a little more expensive and are highly reliable ... but they entail voltage drop due to the use of the diode ... which affects your ouput. MOSFET-based isolators are spendy but are ultra-reliable and have negligible voltage drop. By 'solid state' I'm assuming that isolator is MOSFET-based.

Choose your approach based on budget and application requirements; there's no lone right/correct answer. You might ask them what they're using for the isolation before buying...