Is this illegal???

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by V8_singlecab_ss, Nov 8, 2009.

1. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

2. kwconch021

kwconch021 Rockstar

i would say use your own discretion- basically waht im saying is, is that you know whether or not your local police/sheriffs are tough or not.
    i have smoked all 3 of my brake lights, severley smoked my drl housings and smoked the corner reflectors of my headlights and have not been stopped specifically for that.
    Also, i did not smoke over where the headlight beam would be shining.
    but with those, if you ever were stopped for them, you may be able to coax the cop into letting you off easy becuase they are removeable, simply ask if he didnt mind if you got out to demonstrate that they pop right off. and proceed to keep them off lol. of course dont drive at night with them over your headlights, the bottom drl housing, yeah sure, but not the headlights, as u will diminish light output.
    hope this helps!

3. CTsilverado

CTsilverado New Member

Why would you want to blackout your headlights?

4. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

personally i wouldnt do it.i had those covers on my ranger and it cuts down on the light output so much i couldnt see a thing at night

5. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I wanna do mine soon, but I'm only going to do a few light coats over the headlights. I have some extremely bright bulbs now so it shouldn't dim the lighting to much.

6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had those on my S-10 when I first bought the truck, and I loved the look but I couldn't see anything at night. I took them off because it wasn't worth wrecking the truck over something like that, but to each there own. I threw mine in the garbage after about two weeks, what a waste of money for me anyways.

7. jeremyminter

jeremyminter New Member

The covers you are referring to are meant to be removed at night. I have never owned covers like these, but I have seen them on friends vehicles and don't really care for them. I think tinted looks much better, but you can't remove/replace like the other covers.

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've always had the opinion why do the Police's job by giving them a reason to pull me over, I'm sure I'll make a mistake soon enough so tey can pull me over.
    I believe we have a member on here thats a New Mexico Police officer or DPS Officer, maybe he'll chime in and give you take on this.

9. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive New Member

I had a set on a toyota years ago and I loved the look, but they really hurt the performance of the headlights if you don't take them off at night. And yes, its illegal to run with them at night but at least around here you'd have to catch a cop on a bad day to get pulled over. If you get a set just make sure they're easy to remove so you can take them off when you drive at night.