1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Issues with 2005 HD2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by taordw, Jul 22, 2013.

1. taordw

taordw New Member

Hello All,

New this forum, hope I am in the right place

I have a 2005 Chevy HD2500 4x4. I have a ATF leak between the tranny and transfer, most likely the seal. Question is on replacement. Is this a tough job? Can the transfer be pulled back and seal replaced? Also is this a tranny seal or transfer?

Next issue, is common that a front caliber my stick? Or another issue with the brakes?

Thanks for all responces

Tim
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

the transfercase is trac II BLUE fluid. the transmission fluid is dexron VI red. use a white paper towel to check color and check fluid levels.

yes this seal can be a big deal. could be other things like dip stick tube seal etc...or what is common would be the case is cracked or is with casting weep holes.

if the case has some weep holes/pin holes 5 min epoxy is used.
  3. taordw

taordw New Member

The fluid is red and leaking where the tranny and transfer bolt together, seems like the rear seal on the tranny. What kind of job is it to pull the transfer back and replace the tranny seal??

Thx
    Tim
  4. j cat

this input oil seal is the tranny pump seal. I would have a tranny shop do this if the leak is that bad.

what is the mileage on this vehicle ? how often and what type Dexron fluid do you use ?

If the leak is not that bad I would try a bottle of transmedic additive to condition the hardened seals. if that does not reduce or stop the leak then you have more issues than just the seal.
  5. taordw

taordw New Member

milage is over 180,000, fluid about once a month, GM Dex

Truck shifts good, I plow with no issues, 4x4 works great, just this dame leak

It will leave a 10-12" circle on the driveway in a week if not moved

Thx
  6. j cat

with plowing usage the tranny fluid should be replaced at the end of the plow work season , this is what most owners do . actually most replace all the drivetrain fluids at this time.

I would try the transmedic seal conditioner . see if the circle size decreases. then if it is still leaking the same you will need much work done to replace this INPUT oil seal.

how often do you replace the transmission fluid ? your using DEXRON VI I hope.

do not use DEXRON III. THE IS NO LONGER AN APPROVED GM FLUID.