It’s Not a Chevy, It’s Not a Ford… (lots of big pictures)

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Crawdaddy, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It’s a DEUCE!!! Or more specifically, a 1971 Kaiser M35A2 2 and a half ton truck, commonly called a deuce and a half. Today I took delivery on this beast of a truck, and I couldn’t be happier. I hinted that I was going to have a big announcement, and this is it. :party:

Lemme tell ya, this is a lot more than your daddy’s pickup. This thing is BIG. It measures about 23 feet long, 9 feet tall, and weighs 13,000 pounds EMPTY. It has an 8x12 foot bed with a 10,000 pound payload capacity. 40x9 inch tires on 20 inch split rims. The engine’s a multifuel engine that runs primarily on diesel, but can run on virtually anything that burns except jet fuel. That’s backed up by a 5 speed manual transmission and a 2 speed transfer case. Forget 4x4, I have 6x6! Paint’s in pretty good condition, but there’s also a good bit of rust in certain spots. Engine seems to be in good working condition.

Driving it is a blast. I haven’t driven a manual transmission on the open road before, but I had no trouble driving it. The shift pattern on the transmission is weird. It’s a standard truck pattern where reverse is in the upper left hole, but 4th and 5th are opposite of where they should be. Top speed on it’s right around 48-49mph. I was expecting to get 55mph out of it, but I get too close to the top RPM limit trying to get there. The manual steering is also something that makes driving it slightly more difficult, but steering is easy when using both hands. It’s a loud truck because it doesn’t have any mufflers or catalytic converters, but manageable . You can talk with someone else in the cab with a low yell.

Here’s some pictures of it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some soldier did a “field mod” and doubled the height of the exhaust stack, probably to get the noise and smell more away from the cab:
    [​IMG]

2. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

Awesome...I love it! I saw one of these for sale in Metairie last year. It was in great shape, and I tried to talk my dad into going in on it with me, but...
    Hope to see you driving around town one day!

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I already did one mod to it, the cupholder mod! :rofl:

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

That looks like it's in pretty good shape. For rust, just paint over it, that's the military way lol...

How do you go about licenseing it for the road? Are any mods required to do this?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  5. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Great truck. What are your plans for it?

6. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i love the deuce and a half's!! it made me sad that the army got rid of them for the LMTV's.

7. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Ahhh... the good ol' days. I gotta a little chill seeing that. Have fun with it!

8. conroe

conroe Member

Why? What for?

9. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have that same exact truck! No cab thought and we made a custom black diamond plate flat bed for it. I'll have to get some pics up! We use it to haul grain wagons on the farm. It'll roll some coal :)

10. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

the guys on extreme 4x4 bobbed one of those it really came out nice