Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It appears that the Silverado's hood uses a ground strap, why?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Jan 3, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The other day I was under the hood and noticed that there appears to be a ground strap from the body to the hood. What function does this serve? I would figure that the hinges being bolted to the body would serve as a ground.
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I believe that the ground strap is there for the underhood light, which you may or may not have depending on the year and model of your truck. All of my trucks have had the strap, but in 2003 they stopped making the light standard so my 01 had it, my full load 03 avalanche doesn't, and my base model 03 Sierra 3500 does. But, that would be the only reason for the ground strap on the hood - just because the hinges aren't designed as grounds, so the strap is there to ensure proper grounding.
  3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I have a 2013 Silverado, no light.
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I have installed ground straps on all my vehicles over the years. this helps to reduce radio interference as well as the underhood light return. the hinge does make a poor conduction path for current flow.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

my 05 yukon Xl has the strap, no light
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The painted hinges and the painted hood surfaces make for a very unlikely ground. The ground is needed for any light connection, and it does help with shielding unwanted RF signals. Keeping all body panels at the same voltage potential is key to reducing unwanted noise in the electrical systems.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My 04's got the strap and no light, too. As others have noted, reduction/elimination of unwanted electrical noise is the reason that strap exists.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I know the light is gone because of the Merc switch they used is no longer made in the US.. I did find one from a Junked truck that I would like to put under the hood...
  9. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My experience on my 01 Silverado is that the mercury switch didn't work that well anyway and I'd have to hit the light a few times before it would turn on. I just find it strange that my 03 Sierra 3500 is a base model truck and it has an underhood light, but my 03 Avalanche that is fully loaded doesn't.

Reducing RF noise and such and keeping all of the body panels with the same electric potential makes sense as a reason to keep the ground strap around almost 10 years after they stopped installing the lights.
  10. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

There was a lady who bought a buick lesabre brand new and her first drive to work the car died on the highway. The dealer towed it back and after inspecting found nothing wrong, the car started right up no problems to be found and gave it back. The next day same thing, died in the same spot. After a few more tows back to the dealer and always dieing in the same spot one of the techs rode with her to see if she was doing something wrong. Sure enough the engine stalled in the same spot. The tech looked around and found nothing wrong under the hood but then noticed the hood ground strap was not connected from the factory so while waiting for the tow he took care of it. The truck arrives and they go to load it on the rollback but it starts up. Baffled they do more test drives with no more problems. After writing a report for gm he got a phone call from gm's diagnostic center. They asked him if there were high tension power lines that crossed the highway where it died, and there was. The interference from the powerwires were amplified by the ungrounded hood and affected the crank position signal in the coil module.

Random things like ground straps and weights bolted to exhausts are there for a reason, be it obvious or not