1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It appears that the Silverado's hood uses a ground strap, why?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Jan 3, 2013.

1. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN New Member

I'm going to have to double check but I could swear my 2012 Silverado has a light. ...it also has a censor that knows when the hood is open and will shut the truck off if you open it while running on remote start. (found that out. lol)
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Haha, now I know why we no longer hear of engines dying when UFOs are around.
  3. steved

steved Former Member

A friend a long time ago had a VW that did the same thing...they finally figured out it was interference from the local Doplar Radar deal...he would pass it and the car would die in the same spot every day.
  4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member

The switch for the hood to detect the latch position is in the locking mechanism. It prevents the remote start from working should the hood be open. My 2012 (LT) has no light.
  5. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

So as noted upthread the bonding strap is there mainly to provide better RF shielding.

It works both ways. It reduces the amount of AM radio interference from the ignition, fuel injection, and ABS system, and it reduces the effect of strong RF fields on the engine controls.
  6. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN New Member

Yep just looked at mine last night, no light. Must just be having flash backs from my last trucks as all had them and I've only had this one a month today