1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It just died

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Gbav1, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Gbav1

Gbav1 New Member

Hey Guys&gals, newbee her and I have a Question for you guys, I was going down the interstate about 70mph yesterday, and my 2006 s1500, with a 4.3V6 just died. I tried to restart, and the motor would just spin but not fire. I checked the sparkplugs and no fire at all. I have voltage at the ICM and at the Coil. I replaced both the coil and the ignition control module, still nothing (no spark). Also no codes are showing up on scanner. Truck has 50,000 miles on it. and of course its out of warranty.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. 05azsilver

05azsilver New Member

I see that you have no spark, but is that from the coil or to the wires?
  3. justcurious

justcurious New Member

You might want to perform a compression test, or just pull a plug and put your finger on the spark plug hole and see if it blows back. Does the truck crank over a lot faster now, after the stall and die. Could be the timing chain failed. If not,you really need a scanner that will show live data, to see if you have reference RPM going to the computer. Without reference signal, you would have a ignition problem. You can buy a scanner that shows live data, at autozone for about $150.00. Get back and tell us what the problem was once it's fixed. Good Luck.
  4. Gbav1

Gbav1 New Member

I have spark coming out of the coil, but not at the sparkplugs. I put a new accel hp distributor cap and rotor on today and still nothing. Scanner shows no codes.
  5. jlsparky7

jlsparky7 New Member

Before you get ahead of yourself try to rule out what the problem is. You need compression fuel/air and spark for ignition. Make sure you have all of those first. Could be as simple as a fuel pump/filter.
  6. Gbav1

Gbav1 New Member

Been there done that!
  7. TMRuiz

TMRuiz New Member

If you have spark coming from the coil but not from the plug wires you might have a busted dist. pull the cap and spin it it over to see if the rotor is spinning. If you changed the rotor cap plugs and wires but still have no spark from the wires it's a good chance that rotor isn't spinning to transfer spark to the plugs.
  8. Gbav1

Gbav1 New Member

Found the problem, it was the pin connector (12volt) that plugs into the coil. When I checked it for voltage, it had 12volts, but when it was plugged in it was sending less than 12volts to coil, so I was getting spark to the distributor but it was weak. Never had a connector on a vehicle in 38 years of owning cars and trucks ever do that before. So much for buy American.