It would be nice to have a "tools" forum

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Nov 9, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

We all use tools to work on our trucks, which ones are the best ones, which ones out last others, which ones to avoid.....

Specialty tools that make certain jobs that much easier, etc

1 person likes this.
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Looks like you just started a tool thread. How do you like the Fluke? Oh and Snap on Ratchet?

3. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Rockstar 100 Posts

there are many good brands out there. some brands have better certain tools than others. so its not not much which brand is the best as it is more for each tool which brand has the best. this can also be determined by the type of use and person using it. as for me, i have cornwell, snapon, craftsman, napa, mac, and a few others. the only type of tools that i can sy for sure that i will only go with is screw drivers from cornwell. they have the best, longest lasting screw drivers that i have ever used. for sockets, i got tired of them constantly braking so i replaced all of them with impact sockets. even my 1/4drive sockets are impact sockets.

- - - Updated - - -

4. PantheraUncia

The Fluke is great, I have not had a chance to use it in the truck yet, but I have already used it to figure out why my home theater receiver was not power up, it took a few days messing with the receiver and I found a $3 part that was not responding and replaced it :)

I will be using it to check my USB ports in the truck to see what they are measuring out at this weekend, and I have ordered some LED's to start working with where I will be using it to measure votages so get them wired the way I need to.

The problem with these LED's is I need a heat sink to pull 60 watts of heat away from the LED's :)

The snap on ratchet knocks my craftsman ones out of the water, it has a 4.5 degree swing were the craftsman is 20-30 degrees.

I will be picking up a snap on/blue point belt removal tool next week.

- - - Updated - - -

I am looking for high quality impact socket adapters, I found this set that does what I want it to:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200427567_200427567

But it apparently is made out of the cheapest metal possible: Chrome Vanadium, I plan on returning it, but I have not found an equivalent set in Snap On, Mac, Cornwall, Ingersoll Rand, etc made of chromoly bdenum.

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.co...-of-using-impact-sockets-with-impact-wrenches

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I love snap on. That being said, I have a few snap on tools, but can not afford to have a full set. So, I have the master mechanic set from Craftsman for all my sockets and a craftsman a screwdriver set. I also have a crap load of random sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers that I have acquired over the years. I have a small metrinch set that stays in my truck in case of emergency. Here is the set I carry: http://www.metrinch.tv/combination-sets/62-piece-combination-wrench-and-socket-set.html . They are nice because one wrench does standard and metric. for example the 10mm wrench does 10mm and 3/8". They also work for BSW, and BSF (British standards) Which I dealt with at work often. It grabs the flats of the nut/bolt rather then the corners. I have removed many rounded bolts with the set that my craftsman set would just slip off of. My impact sockets are harbor freight. My dad has had a set from there for 15 years, we put them through hell and never broke one. I also buy low precision tools from HF. Like my belt tensioner tool, and my brake caliper tool (had to have it for the rear brakes on a cavalier) I could not see spending a crap load of money on two metal bars with some sockets and fittings. I will buy pry bars from there also. But, again I would never buy any wrenches or anything precision from there.

6. PantheraUncia

That is a nice set, for me the reason I chose to upgrade my ratchets to snap on is the 80 or 100 tooth gear heads. Sockets, I probably will not spend $25 a socket for snap on, I am happy with my craftsman sockets.

I had bought a belt removal tool from Advanced auto and it has never had enough swing to work right to loosen the serpentine belt on the truck, the snap on/blue point tool is only $5 more than the Advance auto tool and it has a "ratcheting" head :) for the $5 it is a no brainer.

I saw that northern tool has a breaker bar for $79 that has a 1" drive, there are times that I could have really used something like that with adapters taking it to a 1/2" drive with an impact socket that can handle more torque to loosen a bolt or nut, not to mention it is almost 30 inches long.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We had that breaker bar at work. The problem we ran into was breaking the adapters that went down to 1/2" We ended up buying a 1" drive craftsman set and solved that problem. But, of course that caused another problem, when you break a 1" drive socket you can't just go to sears and exchange it, they have to ship it to you. Sometimes that takes a few weeks. For home use, I have an old 1/2" drive craftsman breaker bar. The other day I had a 8 ft pipe slid over the end of it and all my body weight bouncing on it, trying to break a front axle shaft nut loose, somehow I broke it loose and the bar survived! I like the idea of the ratcheting head on the tension tool. I have not had to use the tool on my truck. Even with a new tensioner I have been able to take the belt on and off (multiple times because of my alternator issue) with a 3/8" ratchet with no problem and little effort. I really only use the tool for the 3.1/3.6 liter GM motors as there is not enough room to get a ratchet in between the fender and motor.

8. PantheraUncia

Since I have owned this silverado, I have always changed the belts myself and the pulley for the tensioner has a 1/2 inch female on it (like a 1/2 inch socket). So the tool to "loosen" the belt is 16-24 inches long (I did not measure it) with a 1/2 inch drive. Basically I swing the handle towards my alternator and the belt loosens so I can remove the belt.

Well, I have swong the tool as far as I can go (upper radiator hose) and it has not been loose enough, so that ratchet head will save me time :) and I do it often enough (my truck and families cars) that the extra $5 is worth it.

9. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

You're right to send that cheap impact stuff back. I have seen several chinese sockets & etc. break, even had personal bad exp. - near miss. I bought a cheap set of 1/2" impacts just to use at home with a "retired" C/P impact wrench. I was removing a U bolt on my Jeep when a 7/8 socket broke - glad the broken piece went away from me, could have smacked me in the face ! The piece flew across the garage and bounced off the wall. I took the rest of them to work with me and tossed them in the scrap skip !! There's lots of good quality impact stuff out there that won't break the bank. Most of my own is either S/K or Proto & one IR set. The co. I worked for for many years provided impact tools from 3/4 dr on up, most of them were Proto, with a few Williams and Wright tools. I don't remember ever seeing a proto impact fail - wore out, yes. Adapters do fail, you just can't use a 3/4 dr. tool on a 1/2" socket without having a problem sooner or later & usually it's the adapter that will fail. Ken

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think at one time we used to have a tools forum, but it got dropped due to low use. I think a tools forum would be a nice one since it'll give a good place to brag about all our new toys we acquire.