1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It's HOT outside! *Rearview mirror temp readout content*

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by HolySloth, Dec 27, 2010.

1. HolySloth

HolySloth New Member

So the compass works fine on the rearview mirror, but it tells me that it's well over 100 degrees almost all the time. It was about 40 out this morning, but the mirror said it was 122. :shocked:

Whazzup with that?
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Is this regarding the '99 burb?
  3. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Just to comment, Mine does same thing. Especially with defrost on, max heat and max blower. I think it messes with the sensor sometimes. Once you start driving the temperature becomes more realistic. Don't think its a defect just the location and how the sensor reads outside air.
  4. HolySloth

HolySloth New Member

It is. '99.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Not mine. It goes down a few degrees, but I've never seen it below 88.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I'm not familiar with the burb's or that year, but I had a '97 sierra in which someone had installed an aftermarket temp/compass mirror.....and they mounted the outdoor temperture sensor too close to the radiator. That could be the problem if the gauge reads correctly when first starting out and then maintains the high temp after the engine is warmed up. If it starts out wrong to begin with, you might need to replace the sensor.
  6. HolySloth

HolySloth New Member

That makes sense. I'll probably just replace the sensor at some point. Till then, I'll just pretend I'm actually driving in the Bahamas.