1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I've got a big opportunity!!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ntbush83, Oct 25, 2010.

1. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ok here it is. I've found a guy who is selling an lb7 duramax engine! I've always wanted a diesel but did't wanna sell my truck. I was thinking about buying it and doing the conversion over christmas break. I have the 4L80E tranny so will the duramax bolt up? also what all else would I need to do this coversion if anyone has any ideas. thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

bump..............
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think you need a different tranny since a diesel runs different RPMs and the converter/clutches are set up differently in a gas tranny. Also you will obviously need the wiring harness for the diesel/guage cluster/fuel tank/pump/and as mentioned the tranny. Oh and the Radiator, and all the turbo plumbing, and possibly some of the exhaust depending on emmissions etc. Really you need an entire donor truck since nothing in your truck is really set up to run a diesel...
  3. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

That's a pretty major conversion. You must be really really bored :p
  4. ntbush83

Ha well I knew I was going to have a month off and I really like my truck but would like it better with a diesel in it. But i found out the 4l80e tranny doesn't match up without modification of the bell housing so I decided against the project. One day I'll just buy a diesel truck ha
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

probably a good idea not to do it. I think a while back there were a few threads on hear about it and it seemed to be a huge hassle and extremely difficult with all the things that needed to be changed.
  6. ntbush83

Yeah thats what a was quickly finding out. It would be a really cool project to say I did but just not worth the time and money unfortunately.
  7. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

if you really want a diesel i have a buddy that put a cummins BT4 in a K5 and loves it. he runs 35 in tires with a 342 gear and can shred the rear tires. i want to say he did the whole conversion for under 3k with the motor.

Just a thought!
  8. ntbush83

That is somethin I've always wanted to do! 12v's are so easy to find and with them being mechanical its pretty much the only way to go. I'd love an old scottsdale with a cummins motor but there are a lot around home. I'd like to do somethin really unique but it seems like unique=$
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The BT4 is a 4cyl Cummins only 8V. But they are SUPER economical and powerful, and nowadays you are paying $4000 or more just to find a running BT4 since they became so popular, i have a couple of guys i know from a ford site that have the BT4s in their F-250's (built for economy and long distance with a boat etc) and they were getting mid 20s empty, and low 20s hauling smaller boats/trailers. They are quite an impressive little motor!
  10. ntbush83

Wow I didn't know that was the 4 cylinder! Thats definitely impressive motor if it can power a truck and a trailer. What size turbo comes on those motors? Just curious.