I've got a screw loose!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by janikphoto, Dec 20, 2011.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Literally... I started changing my plug wires on my 1999 K1500 today and I noticed that one of the two screws holding on the distributor cap is missing! Maybe that's what keeps throwing the misfire code for cylinder two?!? Any suggestion on a good replacement distributor cap and finding the correct screw for it? Should I just do oem and the dealership service/parts desk?

2. Dantheman96

Dantheman96 Member

The new cap should come with screws. Be careful not to over tighten the replacement cap onto the distributor base, The base is plastic and it breaks easy.

3. TMair

TMair Member

And the cap will probably have a little "key" on the rim at the bottom so it should only go on one way, be careful of that too, or you could break the cap.
    Terry

4. janikphoto

Thanks... I think it's obvious which way it goes, but a careless installer could surely mess it up!

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

How many miles did you get from the OEM parts? Let that speak for itself.
    More than one installer has put things together wrong and done further damage, words like obvious and common sense dont apply as much as they used to.

6. janikphoto

I just mean that I usually take the time to study something and make sure I'm doing it right. I understand your point, though. Cutting corners is the new American way...