1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I've got issues.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 95CTburb19, Apr 5, 2007.

1. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a 95 suburban 1500 LT. It has no brakes or front heat or dash lights. The heat works in the rear section of the truck and I am able to turn on the rear defog from the new front climate control panel. I know that I have power coming from the control panel because I can hear the "high" relay on the heat click when I turn it to high. Im thinking that the blower is shot but i wanted to see if anyone else had had similar problems before i go tearing it apart. Also, the dash lights will not come on. I bought a new headlight selector switch with the wheel on it and it made no difference. All of the warning lights on the dashboard work, just the spedometer and other meters refuse to light up. I have checked all of the fuses going to each of these problem areas and Im hoping i dont have to start checking all of the wires for shorts. The interior lights are fine as well. The truck has 187,000 on it but only cost me about 800 dollars so Im willing to throw some money at it. Any and all help would be appreciated.
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As far as checking the fan, locate the fan under the hood and run a jumper cable to the power lead on it.

Most only have the power lead and grounds rarely are a problem, but you can just use a regular set of jumper cables.

Attach one to battery power, one to battery ground.

Then attach them to the fan directly. Positive to the plug coming out of the fan. Then the ground (neg) to the side of the fan, make sure to scratch the area where you put the ground.

If the fan works on high, it’s the control module. I believe on something this age the rheostat is still under the hood in the AC box. It will have about 4 or 5 wire going to it.
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The fan thing sounds like what Fiero said either relay or fan motor. Dash could be just the bulbs out in the cluster head or head not seated all the way back in plug. Either way you'll have to pull instrument cluster out. Please explain further on the no brake situation?
  4. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

ok- you listed a few different issues. lets break them down and work each as needed.
    you said "No Brakes" - is this front or rear or there is nothing when you press the pedal? is there any pressure when the motor is on? off? when you step on the pedal. is there any fluid in the master cylinder? is there trails of fluid at the wheels? is there fluid on the firewall (inside-outside)? what type of brake system booster do you have vaccumn- hydro booster?...ok that will help on the no brakes side.

the rear defrost is a switch and not part of the ac/heat so it is great that works. so when you turn on the heat/ac on the dash no blower motor? i get a volt meter and see if the motor is getting power. if it is jump the blower motor and see if it runs. if not it is ground or motor. if it does the control module most likely is toast. does the rear heat/ac system run fine? if so at leat is is a front system issue.

dash lights- is ther power going to the dimmer switch (volt meter)? if so how about out of the switch? if not stll bad switch if so pull the dash cluster and one bulb is there powere going to one side of the connecton?if no power then follow the trace to the main plug and find the wire from the dimmer switch and see if it has power. if not bad wire from dimmer to panel if yes to power then start checking the trace along the cluster you might have a break. this will be a good start and if you got some pictures you might add them to assist your findings..........mike
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just had to redo the actual connection for the power at my blower. It wore down, and had a bad connection. I have the 1-wire type blower motor, so it was an easy fix. I almost went out and bought a new blower before I thought "wait, let's check to make sure it's getting power". So check that connection at the blower
  6. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys. Thanks for your input. I figured out most of my issues. The reason i had no heat was because my fan was totally shot. The reason i had no brakes was because my lines were rusted through. I had to replace all of them. Also, my AC compressor was gone there were like metal particles stuck all over it and it wouldn't engange when i put on the AC. That was also replaced. Im still left with the dash problem. A friend of mine is coming over in a few days to help me with that.Once i get the beast on the road i'll post some pictures if your intersted. Its nothing special just a dented up black burb.
  7. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Maybe its nothing special...but it yours. (post pics) and welcome back.
    BTW good luck with the dash. Lets us know if we can help.