1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Updates January Website Update Discussion ~ Bugs, Website Colors, Functionality

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

USE THIS THREAD TO TALK ABOUT WEBSITE PROBLEMS NOTED OVER THE LAST WEEK.

Problem Overview

We HAD to install a patch to our forum software system, which is vBulletin. This patch moved us from vBulletin 4.2.1 to 4.2.2, which might not indicate a major set of changes, but it patching the software they changed a lot of the ways that content is written to the database.

The designers who made the current theme/skin for the software have moved away from making upgrades for these skins, they have changed their business. So, the last update from then was for 4.2.0, and I hacked 4.2.1 to the best of my abilities, but now I need to consider all options.

List of issues since the patch was applied:

- Site is slow and/or sluggish at times.
    - Images can not be uploaded (all the time) using the standard image upload tool (there are three, I'll test them all)
    - Warning messages appear at the top of some screens (some fixed, some remain)
    - Tapatalk system could not access the file (fixed)

Options & Solutions

The ultimate solution is to get off the dying software platform that is vBulletin. They got bought by a public $1B company a few years ago and since then their software has gone to crap. The next wave (the original founders and programmers of vBulletin software started a new company) where many major websites are moving to is called xenforo, and in the next few weeks I am going to probably move the entire website over to xenforo. The ONLY thing stopping me is that we use the Garage feature on this site, and that software package was purchased by the same people who now own vBulletin. How's that for a kick in the seat of the pants?

Until then, if I can not get all of these issues fixed, then I KNOW I can get the site back to normal (mostly) by switching back to the default forum theme instead of the custom theme. I will make a decision on this later today as it will take at least 4 hours of configuration to do this, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at 2 hours to fix all of the issues listed above, or 20 hours.
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

We are all patient as you work out the bugs Steve. At least we now know that we dont have settings incorrect or our web browsers are not the conflicting culprits. Keep us updated as things progress and hopefully things will be back to normal soon..

Just for the record these are the problems I have noted"

• Cannot upload pictures (the past week)
    • IE says downloading but with errors and loads slow ( the past month+)
    • My IE based browser wont even load GMTC but will other Vbulletin based forums.

I just looked at the other forums Im part of that are running fine and theyre running 4.1.6 and 4.2.1 so that may not help us here with what your indicating may be security issues.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
  3. ChevyFan

I didn't know that people were having issues with IE not even loading the page.

There's something wrong with this entire vBulletin platform. I'm going to keep working at it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a testing style ... you can select it at the bottom of the page, it's called "Default GMTC Style".
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

2011-06-13_14-33-41_399.jpg

From what it seams you can upload picture, but I wasn't having that issue anyway.
  5. ChevyFan

Under some circumstances, it was not allowing people to upload with the must better Flash uploader for image uploads. I switched it to a more simple version of the image uploader and that worked and just a few minutes ago I went back to the flash uploader to see if that's working in the new style.
  6. ChevyFan

This post is being made with tapatalk. It's all been updated.
  7. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah things are definitely better, I can use my other IE based browser which I love better since its a tab style that IE lacks and Ive also uploaded pics. Thanks for the recomendation on the style Steve that definitely made a difference. I will cruise around more tomarrow evening and see how things act.
  8. ChevyFan

I am in the middle of making this template work now. Pretty soon I'm going to flip the switch and it will be the only option.
  9. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Forum has a fresher look, I see! I like it!
  10. ChevyFan

PEOPLE - PLEASE TEST THE SITE OUT NOW. Let us know if there are any issues at all remaining. I am working on trying to get more of these issues fixed, looks like there are some outdated modules in here and some other "bloatware" that's causing the server to slow down at times.