Job Search

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by 95C1500, Apr 7, 2013.

1. 95C1500

95C1500 New Member

I turned 16 a little over a month ago. I started looking for a job today and found a few I like. What was your first job?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Oh to be 16 again, or even close, my first "real" job was a summer job while going to school, repairing appliances for a local dept store. They let me work weekends when school restarted, it was a good job for a couple of years. My first full time job was with the local telephone company, equipment servicing.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

At 14 I started my first job as a chain monkey on Interstate 80 near Truckee CA. Since we only worked during storms I had a job during better weather splitting firewood. Traded those two jobs in at 16 for roofing and tilesetting. A year and a half later I joined the Military and never looked back.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

First job Working at a Nabisco plant about a mile from my house after school in the Tech Dept. at 15-16 Then at my friends Shop DSL in Paramus, NJ where we Started doing all of the Custom work and display building for Sony Mobile. We also bought Lojack from Mass to NJ then the rest of the US.. Lots of good installers came from that shop... The old days...:neutral:
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I worked at a dentist office from age 12 to 18. I had said over and over as a kid I wanted to be a dentist, so my local dentist (who also taught at the university) handed me 3 big books and told me to read them before my next visit. I did. When I returned, I brought them back ... and was asked if I had read them. I answered in the affirmative and the doctor, disbelieving, quizzed me. I was able to answer all of his questions ... in detail.

This surprised him -- so he had a chat with my parents, as he wanted to provide more exposure to a child who was clearly interested in the profession. Hence, my first job started out as just office cleaning work each day after school. By the tail end of it I was responsible for inventory control and occasionally assisted (i.e. handed instruments, ran suction, etc.) during procedures. There was a time I could name every instrument in the place and knew the proper use of each ... but that was so long ago I'd be lucky toget two right, today.

If the practice had not been sold (my old boss was retiring) to a guy who was really into the business aspect (i.e. less into the care aspect) I might have become a dentist. However, watching the practice change from a patient-first environment to one aimed at getting as many patients in and out the door in a given day -- to maximize profit -- just turned me off to the whole idea. Health care is supposed to be about care ... not profit. But it was a good lesson to learn early ... that health care IS about profit ... because businesses don't survive without it.
  6. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

Got my first job at 16. I sold guns!

Nah, not quite. I worked as a sales associate in the Hunting/Fishing department at Academy Sports and Outdoors. I stayed on the floor as you had to be 18 to sell the fun stuff.
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

First real job was at Sears where I sold tools. Management was a joke and forgot about the fact I was off to college and could no longer work so they asked me to quit because I wasn't showing up. Now I work at Dick's Sporting Goods where I am a Lodge Associate
  8. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

At 14, I baled hay and ran shoots for a rodeo down the road from my house. Paid 20 bucks and hour. Turned 16 and worked as a dishwasher then moved to prep cook. Working in the kitchen at 16 was one of the greatest experiences Ive had. Placed closed down, but I am still good friends with one of my bosses.
  9. silverhobey

silverhobey New Member

first job at 14 was at a butcher shop....ended up becoming a butcher by trade while
    learning and earning at the same time....about an 8 or 9 year career....well paying
  10. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

started picking rock around 12 did that for a few years, then helped my parents neighbor on his farm off and on between other adventures i had. worked overnights at target for a while, for 2 different farm co-ops. i got around....

Alex
  11. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

I've always worked on my family farm as long as I can remember even if I wasn't help back in the day but at 16 I started fitting pipe for my dad and I still do it to this day. But now I'm college educated so one day I can take over for the old man
  12. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

The funny part about this is that your practical, hands-on education is probably superior to what you got in college in terms of utility -- primarily because it came with a work ethic that college flat-out can't provide or match.

While the sheep skin is necessary in today's world, I always tell people not to let school get in the way of their educations. :)
  13. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

Your totally right in order to run my dads company I have to be able to run a business and do all his engineering which he currently does. I learned to use autocad at school and go a Degree in business management. But I wouldnt know how to lay out the systems if I didn't learn how to do it in the field first. Schools these days don't teach our children much. I'm scared for education these next few years
  14. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

The larger companies are looking for people with a sold education in the basics of the degree. The companies want to provide the specialized training to an employee with an open mind.
  15. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

That depends on the company and position level. The company I work for (which is a Fortune 150 company ... so it's large) looks for what you mentioned for entry level positions only. All other positions they seek out highly specialized employees. There are, of course, exceptions at my company and all others. Who you know is more relevant than what you know. 80% of people get jobs through people they know. So, even if you lack a degree, if someone walks your resume down the hall and renders it with a recommendation, it's more likely to show up close to the top of the stack.
  16. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

my first job was working at Sherry's restaurant in Kirkland Washington. I was 15 or 16 and made probably something like five bucks an hour plus a part of the tips

- - - Updated - - -

hey, don't get off topic! :sign0018:
  17. Gold Z

Gold Z New Member

I worked as a carhop at a drive in restaurant. Pay was terrible but it beat being broke.
  18. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

What's a Sherry's? i.e. What kind of food?
  19. The Heater

The Heater New Member

It is spelled "Shari's". Think of Denny's only this place bakes home made pies and muffins too. (they are very tasty). They are open 24/7 just like Denny's. I probably ate at that Shari's in Kirkland some time in my past.

Wow. I guess I go back a lot farther than most of you folks. My first job was at age 16 and it was in grocery (I worked 3 yrs in HS in grocery), it was Thriftway. I got paid a whopping $1.80 an hour. After raises during my two years there, I think I was up to $2.20 an hour by the time I went to Fred Meyer my senior year. I worked grocery because Retail Clerks paid more than the other jobs available to high schoolers.
  20. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member

My first job was when I enlisted in the Army Reserves at 17. Once I got out of boot camp, my first civilian job was doing carpentry. One of the guys in my unit helped me get my foot in the door, and my quick learning ability got me going from there.

I grew up on a farm though, so I was always working since I was old enough to start doing chores.