Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Job Search

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by 95C1500, Apr 7, 2013.

1. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I turned 16 a little over a month ago. I started looking for a job today and found a few I like. What was your first job?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Oh to be 16 again, or even close, my first "real" job was a summer job while going to school, repairing appliances for a local dept store. They let me work weekends when school restarted, it was a good job for a couple of years. My first full time job was with the local telephone company, equipment servicing.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

At 14 I started my first job as a chain monkey on Interstate 80 near Truckee CA. Since we only worked during storms I had a job during better weather splitting firewood. Traded those two jobs in at 16 for roofing and tilesetting. A year and a half later I joined the Military and never looked back.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

First job Working at a Nabisco plant about a mile from my house after school in the Tech Dept. at 15-16 Then at my friends Shop DSL in Paramus, NJ where we Started doing all of the Custom work and display building for Sony Mobile. We also bought Lojack from Mass to NJ then the rest of the US.. Lots of good installers came from that shop... The old days...:neutral:
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I worked at a dentist office from age 12 to 18. I had said over and over as a kid I wanted to be a dentist, so my local dentist (who also taught at the university) handed me 3 big books and told me to read them before my next visit. I did. When I returned, I brought them back ... and was asked if I had read them. I answered in the affirmative and the doctor, disbelieving, quizzed me. I was able to answer all of his questions ... in detail.

This surprised him -- so he had a chat with my parents, as he wanted to provide more exposure to a child who was clearly interested in the profession. Hence, my first job started out as just office cleaning work each day after school. By the tail end of it I was responsible for inventory control and occasionally assisted (i.e. handed instruments, ran suction, etc.) during procedures. There was a time I could name every instrument in the place and knew the proper use of each ... but that was so long ago I'd be lucky toget two right, today.

If the practice had not been sold (my old boss was retiring) to a guy who was really into the business aspect (i.e. less into the care aspect) I might have become a dentist. However, watching the practice change from a patient-first environment to one aimed at getting as many patients in and out the door in a given day -- to maximize profit -- just turned me off to the whole idea. Health care is supposed to be about care ... not profit. But it was a good lesson to learn early ... that health care IS about profit ... because businesses don't survive without it.
  6. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Got my first job at 16. I sold guns!

Nah, not quite. I worked as a sales associate in the Hunting/Fishing department at Academy Sports and Outdoors. I stayed on the floor as you had to be 18 to sell the fun stuff.
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

First real job was at Sears where I sold tools. Management was a joke and forgot about the fact I was off to college and could no longer work so they asked me to quit because I wasn't showing up. Now I work at Dick's Sporting Goods where I am a Lodge Associate
  8. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

At 14, I baled hay and ran shoots for a rodeo down the road from my house. Paid 20 bucks and hour. Turned 16 and worked as a dishwasher then moved to prep cook. Working in the kitchen at 16 was one of the greatest experiences Ive had. Placed closed down, but I am still good friends with one of my bosses.
  9. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

first job at 14 was at a butcher shop....ended up becoming a butcher by trade while
    learning and earning at the same time....about an 8 or 9 year career....well paying
  10. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

started picking rock around 12 did that for a few years, then helped my parents neighbor on his farm off and on between other adventures i had. worked overnights at target for a while, for 2 different farm co-ops. i got around....

Alex