jumping guages

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by jarhead74, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jarhead74

jarhead74 New Member

I am sure everyone with a Silverado 1500 (279000miles)is seeing your guages start jumping. Mine are to the left so that means a bad ground...I am in the process of tracking it down one ground at a time, I'll report back soon, Now if anyone knows where all of them are , feel free to share...interesting video I did on youtube, biglon74 "knock knock" very surorising what I found

L2

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I'd agree since they're bouncing to the left (off) that it would be the common instrument cluster ground or the common power supply, rather than the individual stepper motors. Good luck & welcome to the club

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

***Thread moved*******

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, the gauge clusters have a habit of crapping out:no: My fuel level gauge went like 5,000 miles ago, I just use the trip computer in the meantime until I can get a new cluster.

5. crashwrench01

crashwrench01 New Member

Jumping Gauges

6828979-7-5-2e22360f.jpg 6828979-1-5-5f793e03.jpg Hello,
    My '07 Silverado Lt ( 5.3 L ) Had the same problem, When you would hit a bump in the road or just sitting there with every thing on !!!! :grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr:
    My Gauges would jump, The radio would go - off - on reset to default, The Auto A/C Heat , off -On Goes to Default
    Power Door Locks jumping ,
    Found Problem !!!!!!!!!!! :great:
    While Cleaning the Engine Compartment with the Engine Running , I saw a PUFF OF SMOKE COME OUT FROM UNDER THE FUSE BOX !!!!!!!!!
    Starting at the Battery, Checking for loose Conections, Batt. Connections -ok , Grounds -ok, Power Wire to Master Fuse on Firewall - ok ,
    Power Wire to fuse box ---- OH, ----
    Pull, Jiggle , PULL , Smoke came from UNDER Fuse AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!

Shut off Engine , Disconnect Battery, Unlock fuse box from bottom Half, """"" BINGO """""" MAIN Power wire Connector TO FUSE BOX - Half way BURNED OFF , Bottom Side
    of Fuse box Shows Signs Of Getting HOT ( It Is A _&^%$#@__ Quick Connect !!!!!!!! )
    Replaced - Power Wire And Whole Fuse Box ( $$$$$ ) ....

FIXXED !!!!!
    What A NiteMare .......:gasp::gasp::gasp::gasp:
    SORRY For The Rant ..
    Hope this may give you a starting Point,
    Later ,
    Mark K.