junk wheel bearings

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kennyb79, Feb 10, 2013.

1. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

well I finally figured out what was making the growling noise...it was my passenger side wheel bearing that I replaced last june. 8 months, maybe 15,000 miles on a wheel bearing. what kind of junk are they selling? jacked up the drivers side and gave that a shhake, and yep, that ones gotta go to. at least that ones been a little longer the other one.

so, $120 bucks a piece for bearings isn't enough, anybody have any idea which ones are bbetter and where I can buy the good ones at a discount?

2. damn_dragons

damn_dragons New Member

I use Timken or National bearings, have had good performance from them over the years. Also try www.rockauto.com instead of your local parts store, you can save 50% including shipping. Also I use a hi temp synthetic grease instead of just anything off the shelf. Hope this helps.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You need to use quality hubs. Sure you can find some discount hubs for $60, but you will be changing it again soon. I have always had luck with timken also. Moog makes great chassis parts. I would trust their hubs also. You can check out some of the big box autoparts stores online. There is one that always has between 15-25% off of online orders. You order it online and pick it up at the store an hour later. That company carries Moog.