junk wheel bearings

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kennyb79, Feb 10, 2013.

1. kennyb79

kennyb79 New Member 100 Posts

well I finally figured out what was making the growling noise...it was my passenger side wheel bearing that I replaced last june. 8 months, maybe 15,000 miles on a wheel bearing. what kind of junk are they selling? jacked up the drivers side and gave that a shhake, and yep, that ones gotta go to. at least that ones been a little longer the other one.

so, $120 bucks a piece for bearings isn't enough, anybody have any idea which ones are bbetter and where I can buy the good ones at a discount?
  2. damn_dragons

damn_dragons New Member

I use Timken or National bearings, have had good performance from them over the years. Also try www.rockauto.com instead of your local parts store, you can save 50% including shipping. Also I use a hi temp synthetic grease instead of just anything off the shelf. Hope this helps.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You need to use quality hubs. Sure you can find some discount hubs for $60, but you will be changing it again soon. I have always had luck with timken also. Moog makes great chassis parts. I would trust their hubs also. You can check out some of the big box autoparts stores online. There is one that always has between 15-25% off of online orders. You order it online and pick it up at the store an hour later. That company carries Moog.