1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Just another random question...

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by s5belford, Dec 10, 2009.

1. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had a 91 Bronco and the button for high-beams was on the floor. when I first got it, it took me a solid 20 minutes to figure out how to turn the high beams off.

Long story short I LOVED the button on the floor bacuse it was sweet using my foot to control them.

Does anyone know why they quit making them like that???
  2. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Haha the button was on the floor? As in it was built that way?
  3. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

ya all older GM trucks should have that, a small silver button you can tap with your foot and it turns your high beams on. i have an 82 sierra with that. dont know why they stopped.
  4. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I think they went away because of corrosion and convenience issues. They were prone to getting gunked up, then not working. When they moved to the column, they were easier to use.

When our ambulances made this change, I had some difficulty getting used to it; They moved the high beams to the column, and put the air horn switch where the high beams used to be.
    Yeah, that's right... 3 in the morning, quite neighborhood, no street lights...HOOOONNNNNKKKK!!!
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Back in the day every vehicle had the high beam switch on the floor.
    After they stopped making them like that I remember more than once tapping my foot on the floor and tryng to figure out where the switch was.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ahhh the good old days.....Anyone on here driven a 3 on the tree?? i actually like those, I think they are fun to drive!!
  7. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

3 ON THE TREE, Hell ya!

old chevy short box , i believe 1968.

Those were the days!!!! via All in the Famliy... What would Archer say today?
  8. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

OOOPS Archie!!
  9. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

hahaha, thats really funny! I really did like the button on the floor though, I wish they still made em like that!

I've never drive 3 on the tree, I've seen them but never had the chance to drive one.
  10. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Those were fun,66' Chevy Pickup 3 on the tree with a IIRK a 327...Alot fun.!!!it was my Dad's truck and he told me that if i could drive & shift a 3 on the tree,I could drive anything.