Just Bought 97 S10 ~ Replaced Instrument Cluster or Transmission conversion?

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by jiffyjeff, Feb 19, 2014.

1. jiffyjeff

jiffyjeff New Member

Recently purchased a 97 s10 5 speed man trans x vin 4.3

the gauge cluster has prnd21 like auto does this mean cluster was switched so miliage is wrong or is this a semi common occurrence?

- - - Updated - - -

Also has no tach

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  2. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Well, jiffy, 1) you are allowed to use punctuation, 2) I had to re-read that 3 times before I got what you where trying to say, I think! My thought is, maybe the PO (previous owner) put a standard tranny in the truck after the automatic one crapped the bed?

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm going to edit the Title of your post from "possible problem??" to "Just Bought 97 S10 ~ Replaced Instrument Cluster???", and I agree that you need to have some punctuation in there, it was very hard to read quickly.

Other than that, it's a really interesting question. Either it came with an automatic transmission and they replaced it with a manual transmission (which is not a Saturday morning quickie project) and everything that goes with it ... or they swapped out the instrument cluster (which is a quickie Saturday morning project).