1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

just bought a 1992 suburban and issues....need advice ASAP!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 92burb, Aug 3, 2010.

1. 92burb

92burb New Member

hey guys,
    i just bought a 92 suburban the other day, it's very clean (body, interior, tires, etc...), it has 150k on it, front/rear a/c, 5.7, auto, 2wd. got a good deal on it however,

as i was driving it, after i parked i would occasionally smell coolant, so i went hunting and found a 4" crack in the radiator. i sent the PO an email mentioning this and he said that it was leaking in january and so he put some stop leak in it and didn't have a problem since.

there were a few other unmentioned things however the above is what i'm typing about.

Anyways, i ordered a new radiator and planned to just toss it in and be done with it. however this morning i went to check the coolant level and while it was full, it has an oily appearing substance at the top layer. also in the overflow bottle on the bottom is some goupy oily looking substance.

i smelled it and to me it does not smell like oil, it also does not smell like tranny fluid. it does NOT have an oil cooler, it does have a tranny cooler.

so heres my question, how common is it for the chevy 350 to seep oil into the coolant system, the OIL is clean (well dirty but in a normal way, no traces of water). the PO did not drive the truck often, could this just be deposits of stop leak that i am seeing?

p.s. i took a "sample" to a mechanic and he didn't think it smelt like oil either, however with the coolant in there, it's hard to tell. also with it running the coolant level at the radiator neck raises slowly, but theres no real bubbling occuring.

the PO offered an almost full refund if i wanted to return it, so i'm trying to decide what i want to do, if it's unlikely that it's a headgasket issue, i want to keep it but if it's a headgasket problem, i'm out here on vacation and simply don't have the resources to mess with it.

also i forgot to mention, sometimes when you drive you can hear a swishing noise which i assume is a "low" water level in the heater core...
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Im thinking it is the stop leak that stuff is horrible and messes everything up.. You will want to do a full flush (repeat several times) to get all of the crap out of there.. And raising a bit in the neck is normal as the water pump pushes it through.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think murdog94 is right, most likely the leak stop in the overflow.
  4. 92burb

92burb New Member

the wooshing noise in the heater core anything to worry about? i suppose that would be fixed when i replace the radiator and fill the coolant system properly. my porsche used to do that all the time till i got the system bled out (boxsters suck to bleed out, porsche uses a vacuum system to do it)
  5. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member

Look at the bottom of your oil fill cap, does it have a white milkey/foamy like goo on it? if so sounds like head gaskets are shot. If not prolly just some left over stop leak. Flush and refill with fresh coolant, get that stop leak out of there before it plugs up your heater core and your new rad.
  6. 38racn

38racn New Member

I'll repeat what murdog said. Anytime I use stop leak (especially "bar's leaks"), as soon as the leak is stopped, I'll get the rest of that stuff out of there.
  7. bdavis7983

bdavis7983 New Member

the swooshing noise you are hearing is infact just lower coolent levels. with the levels low, more air is traveling through your system making more room for the coolent to "swoosh" around. you get the new radiator put in, flush that crap out of your coolent system and you should be good after that. that stop leak gunk is nothing but crap, yes it can stop or atleast slow a leak, but like the guys above me said, its not good on your system at all.