1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Just bought a 2000 Suburban LT!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jBlaze3000, May 29, 2012.

1. jBlaze3000

jBlaze3000 New Member

First time Chevy owner here.

Spent all day Saturday test driving Suburbans and Expeditions in the Minneapolis area but kept looking at a Craigslist ad for a fully loaded LT with 152k miles that was about 90 miles outside of the city. Took the drive on Sunday and bought her:

Overall, this truck is rock solid and I felt like I got a good deal. In the cities, trucks in this condition with this mileage are going in the high $6k to low $7k range and we paid $5350 cash. My only concerns are:

1. Fuel pump - it's making a constant whining noise which from the research I've done appears to be normal with these trucks. There was even a receipt in the service records where the previous owners had taking the truck to a dealership for "fuel pump whining" and the resolution was "noise is normal".

However, the fuel pump does appear to be a weak point on these vehicles and I don't think it's ever been replaced. Being that it's got 152k on it and I plan on taking the family on some 400 miles trips this summer I'm thinking about proactively swapping it out. It's the only thing I have any concern about as far as being left stranded somewhere. Am I wrong in my thinking here?

2. AC Compressor - this one irks me a little. Either the seller didn't know what he was talking about or he flat out lied to me. The AC compressor is making a clicking noise, which is an early indicator that it is failing. I could tell the sound was not coming from the engine and he said it was the air compressor for the autoride suspension. Come to find out the compressor for the autoride is in the back of the vehicle! The AC blows cold and this was my own fault as I could have easily proven him wrong (and talked him down a few hundred bucks). Bottom line is that I still feel like I got a good deal.

Tranny fluid is pink and transparent and she shifts strong so I will probably leave that alone. Will likely put in new plugs and plug wires, change the fuel filter (and possibly the pump), and change the oil with synthetic.

One thing I noticed is that the autoride compressor turns on every time we start the truck. Is this normal or is this an indication of a leak in the system?

What other things would you do to a used vehicle of this age?

Thanks in advance.
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Welcome to GMTC!...congrats on your new suburban:great:...the fuel pump in these chevys are supposed to make a noise,if you hear no noise then you have a issue!...id change it out if i were you so you didnt have to worry about it on your long trips!...im not sure about your AC compressor and im sure someone will chime in with the answer...id do a whole tune-up on it like plugs,wires,fuel filter,air filter,oil change,rear-end fluid,etc....good luck!...id leave the tranny fluid alone since its still pink,if you would change it out you might run into more issues than what you want :neutral:
  3. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Well congrats on your purchase! I agree that it might be a good idea to swap out the ride for a long family trip, at least until you become more familiar with its quirks.
    Any pics of the new ride?
  4. jBlaze3000

jBlaze3000 New Member

Here's a pic. Yes those are Cadillac Escalade rims :happy:. I didn't ask what the story was behind them but they look sharp.

7301775558_d5a6eb995c_n.jpg
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Most Suburbans of that vintage have noisy fuel pumps, even aftermarket replacements are loud, they were loud from the factory.
    If you decide to replace it make sure you do it when the tanks near empty, it's a big tank and gets hard to handle if theirs much fuel in it, you can use a jack to do most of the lifting but you still gotta do some jockeying to get it perfectly in place.

Auto ride might have a slight leak if it turns on that much, but a leak that small you'll probably have a real hard time locating.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I bought an 03 yukon xl last summer. The AC compressor was driving me nuts. It cycled on and off alot. After I did a little research I discovered that if I don't press the snow flake button it keeps the ac on all the time. I have a friend with the same climate controls in his truck. When I press my button it shows as a snowflake with a line thru it. (AC off). His just shows as a snowflake when he presses his and it turns his ac on. I drove around for 4 months with my ac on until i figured it out. As far as the auto ride goes, you could always put regular shocks on it and do away with the autoride all together. A lot of guys do this after their pump goes due to the replacement price of the pump
  7. jBlaze3000

jBlaze3000 New Member

And that is my dilema! I don't know if I want to change the pump if the new one is going to be just as loud. I also don't know for certain if the pump is the original or not. I have meticulous service records through about 2007 on this vehicle, and not much between 2007 and now. Nothing shows that the pump has been changed but there is a 5 year gap.

Think the first thing I need to do is see what kind of pressure I'm getting. Also heard that you could take an ohm reading through the fuse holder to see if the pump is failing. Will probably do that and then decide if I want to swap a $300 part that works fine but is noisy...
  8. tbplus10

No real good answer on this, the pump could last for years or it could fail next week on your way to work, the two tests your looking at will give indicators of the pumps condition but they arent a firm indicator. If it worrys you that much then I say replace it, why waste energy feeling like your on borrowed time.
  9. jBlaze3000

jBlaze3000 New Member

Yeah, I'm sure I'll end up replacing it. Is there a better/quieter pump out there than the OEM one or is OEM the way to go?
  10. tbplus10

Havent heard of anyone finding a quieter pump.
    I put insulation between the floorboards and the fuel tank on my old Suburban and it seemed to quiet it down some but not all the way.