Just bought an Equinox...Need some help!!! [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Equinox Forum (GMC Terrain)' started by mphaneuf, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mphaneuf

mphaneuf New Member

Hello,

I just bought a used 2005 Chevy Equinox LS AWD and have a 2 month warranty on it. I love the car, but wanted to see if anyone could help me out on a few issues. 72,000 miles on it.

1. It is VERY loud. There is a small, hardly noticeable vibration and there is considerable road noise. Sounds to me like it is coming from the tires? Noise gets worse with acceleration and higher speeds. The vibration is still barely noticeable. Any ideas? I would thing the vibration would be worse if it just needed a tire balance. This is LOUD.

2. There is some kind of rattle coming from the front of the vehicle when you drive over small bumps or rough terrain.

3. Every once in a while, you can hear a swishing noise when you turn the steering wheel...how do you fix considering the electrical power steering?

Thanks

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site. I've never driven an E'nox, but I think you are on the right track thinking it is tire related (vibration & noise). If the tires are "older/worn" they may be louder than new ones. Maybe some of the other folks around here will have more help. Good luck!

3. branhap

branhap New Member

1. Tires are most likely the issue. Also that year equinox had more road noise than later ones. there is a TSB on it I believe, where they change out the rubber seal for the windows to be a double seal. Is the tire noise coming from one wheel or multiple?

2. Sounds like suspension potentially. But honestly have no idea on this one.

3. This is normal. The Power steering unit for this car is louder than most cars. Ours has always had that whine to it when turning the wheel at low speeds.

Congrats on the purchase.

Paul

4. NHSilverado

NHSilverado Former Member

1 - Road noise is a common issue with the Equinox. They don't have a lot of sound deadening material. My 08 AWD has quite a bit of tire noise with tires I know to be very quiet. Just a trait of the vehicle. The vibration could be that the tires need to be rebalanced, it could be your brakes are grabbing, or it could be related to #2.

2 - Could be something in the suspension or something loose like the exhaust.

3 - Not sure what you mean by a "swishing" noise? The AWD rear diff can produce a grinding noise when it is low on fluid or needs a fluid change.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible most times to diagnose sound issues over the internet. Your best bet is to takke it to the dealer or used car lot where you bought it before the warranty expires and get it fixed.

5. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

#2 Better check that out, if you bought the nox and it has some front end problem, you can sue big time, and whoever safetied that nox is in alot of trouble.

6. i have an 05 fwd & i had the same problems. the car is just loud in general unfortunately. i hear loud ass road noises especially on the highway. try balancing the tires, that really helped mine.

7. peacekeeperp

peacekeeperp New Member

I have an 06 bought new off the lot and have some noise in the front suspension. Had dealer check it out and told me everything was good to go. So the noise dampering makes sense. As for the noise from tires, have them checked they could be chopped. That will make them nice and noisy I just replaced mine and truck feels like new again. :party:

8. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if you have big nobby tires like off-road tires or mud tires, then you will get alot of noise, what kind do you have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.