Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Just got my first boat!

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by AnimalYates, May 20, 2013.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Nice boat! Brings back memories...

Growing up, my parents had a 20' Wellcraft that looked just like yours except for everything on yours that is red was blue on ours.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your buying fuel at the dock on the water, which always cost's more.
    The only time I ever fuel up on the water is if I absolutely have to to get back to the launch ramp or if Im on a lake that has a DOD rec site since their required to regulate fuel prices to the lowest available street price, and since docks/marinas are on lakes and not streets fuel prices are normally the lowest on the lake, but only available to DOD employee's and retiree's.
    When I had my old boat docked I always used 2 Dockmate portable 20 gl fuel tanks to refuel the boat. At $1.50 to $2.00 a gl cheaper with a 40 gl fuel tank its a huge savings.
  3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Congrats Animal, great looking boat. :great: I have been thinking about getting one but just hadn't found one that I like and can afford. Great find man.
  4. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Thanks everyone. Like I said, I'm so green to the boating world it's not even funny. But as Surreal said, there is just something about being out on the water. I am inbetween two fairly nice lakes.. both probaby 30-45 minutes away. (Ceaser's Creek and Brookeville lake for any of you Ohioan's out there.)

I have been way too busy with work this week to get anything done with the boat though. It needs a good detail, and could probably use a tune up in a few spots. I need to get a cover for it, and get the trailer weighed. I am hoping you guys are right and I enjoy it as much as I think I will. And if I don't there is always craigslist. (Where I bought it to begin with lol). Could put it up for trade for a badass K20 or something. Haha. Once again thanks guys.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my boat is actually 19", not 17". And I had never really backed a trailer this long before. I will definitely have to get some maneuverability practice in before making an ass of myself at the ramp haha.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Congrats!!! I've never owned one but know plenty who do. We always have a great time when were out and I am sure you will too! Very nice.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

@Enkeiavalanche (and @AnimalYates, since you're a self-proclaimed boating newb), tbplus10 is spot-on ... don't buy fuel on the lake unless you must, as you're usually a captive audience (due to low or no competition among fuel vendors on the lake) ... and you get gouged. Where tbplus10 used 20gallon tanks, I simply stuck to 5 gallon cans (I own five 5gal and two 2.5gal), as they're a bit easier for me to handle/move... and I can also use them for other things and refill only what's empty.

With the hard cap on your Avalanche there'd be no issue stashing gas cans in the truck for refils while out for a day of lake fun. Crownlines are nice boats, by the way. (Dad had one for a while.)
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Shouldn't take too much practice. Longer trailers are much easier back than short ones.
  8. estrom

estrom Member 1 Year

prayers sent....

- - - Updated - - -

Ok - seriously...we've had boats for 20+ years and have loved it. They are a great family activity if you have kids. We're more of the ski, tube, etc... type, little to no fishing. But no matter the type of boat, there's a few "musts":

1. Get a cover for it NOW if it's going to live outside. Any type of weather will hurt it somehow.
    2. Find a RECOMMENDED, good mechanic. I do a lot of the maintenance myself, but it's good to have someone you can trust for the bigger stuff or stuff you can't or don't want to do yourself.
    3. Practice backing the trailer BEFORE you head to the boat ramp. Watching a boat ramp can make for some priceless entertainment. Don't BE the entertainment.
    4. Most important (if you're married or have a significant other), YOU should NOT be the one to teach her how to back the trailer, and it should especially NOT be done on the boat ramp!! (See #3 above!)

Have fun!
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Thanks but no lake it was on the Hudson river and we did not have a trailer for it.. It was fun But we sold it a few years ago...
  10. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

missed this thread somehow. grats dude!

backing isnt that hard, just remember right is left, and left is right. :rules:

Alex