1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

just got my hooker headers!

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by willbradfan, Mar 24, 2010.

1. willbradfan

willbradfan Rockstar 100 Posts

Just got my long tube hooker headers in the mail last night. Does anyone know if exhaust shops will install them and be able to rearrange my exhaust for it?

2. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sweet! Yes, an exhaust shop should be able to them for you pretty cheaply.

3. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

yipppeee. long tube headers, i'm so jealous. yes, the shop should be able install them.

4. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

any reputable garage could install your headers if you ask if they are able to, especially a shop that specializes in exhausts.

5. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What you COULD do to lower the costs a little bit is to install the headers yourself, and cut the pipe off far enough back, and just drive to the muffler shop. If a cop pulls you over, just tell him your going to the muffler shop. That's what I'm doing when i get my long tubes. I have to drive 40km to the muffler shop too haha.

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes they will....shops around here run about $300 to install headers...

Let us know how you like em....thats one of the things on my list of mods.....damn list never seems to shorten however.

7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I just missed out a set of shorty headers (used but useable) i am trying to avoid the famous manifold exhaust leak...
    I will be installing any that i get and driving to the exhaust shop to have them hooked up since the shops always wan the truck there the night before so the engine has a chance to cool. And also it might be fun to here old betsy with open headers...

8. willbradfan

I haven't had a chance to get them installed yet as i had to make a sudden trip out of town :grrrrrr: I never thought about them wanting the trick there the night before so the headers are cooled off, but it shouldnt take but a hour or so for them to cool off again completely..

9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

for the most part yes but that is how all of the shops that i talked to wanted to do it.. and i couldnt go with out wheels since i had to work.. So headers were never a priority...

10. willbradfan

Well i got back in town today and was excited to open up the box and check them out. When i checked them out, the oxygen sensor slot had the threads for the sensor to be screwed in but the metal had not been cutout to allow the sensor to be screwed into the header. I also noticed that the instructions claim there is a hole for the air injection on the header as well but there isn't a hole anywhere. I was not expecting this to happen when i purchased from summit racing :grrrrrr: