1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Just hit 70k in my 99 Cavalier

Discussion in 'Other GM Cars' started by ChevyFan, Mar 30, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, we bought this car from a sweet little old lady and we've not had any major problems with it except for the alternator and an issue withthe cruize control.

Otherwise, very happy and no problems! Whoo hoo!

2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The Cavalier seems to be like the Chevette. It keeps on tinking if you can fight the rust back monster off...

3. quickzilverado

quickzilverado Rockstar

I had a 2000 Cavalier Z24 coupe w/ numerous modifications (tasteful and clean exterior mods and mild performance/suspension mods), and I ended up trading it in (bad mistake) with 140,000 miles. It had the 2.4 liter twin cam motor and I actually raced it at the local drag strip for 3 seasons (taking 2nd place two years in a row). Alot of those miles were race or highway miles, since a commute to school/work was about 45 miles one way+extra curricular driving around with my gf. I had few problems with it. The stock RDS radio was crap...stopped reading CDs. The only engine problem was a burnt out clutch fan motor. It was replaced under warranty. I never had to do the infamous water pump replacement that the 2.4 liters are notorious for. I kept mobil 1 synthetic oil in it, changed every 5,000 miles and also took it in for regular service (more than expected...prevenative maintainence) for the cooling system and transmission fluid (since I raced alot wanted to make sure my fluids were new every 50K-75K miles). Anyways, a GREAT car! I wish you luck on your cavalier and hope it can turn as many miles as mine has with zero problems!

-Anthony

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That's awesome. No problems with my water pump. We did have a '99 Sunfire that my wife drove all through college, got it in 2000. We had a problem with the alternator at about 70K and the plug wires broke their snaps off so they were giving some misfires.

I have an average commute, it's about 30 miles round trip, sound like my company might move to Ft. Worth in the next year or so. My commute will then be like 40-50 miles round trip, so we're going to keep this little car until the body panels fall off just for my M-F commuter car.

5. quickzilverado

quickzilverado Rockstar

hehe well, I'm sure the engine will last longer than the body...I agree w/ people the cavalier/sunfire (j-body platform) was pretty shoddy made...hehe....

On the highway you'll be fine, it'll last forever! My dad has a co worker with a 96 cavalier and it has almost 300K miles! (2.2 liter OHV motor, 5 speed manual).

-Anthony